Standard Location for TheKeep files

Is it possible to change the standard storage location for TheKeep files from the program folder to another location such as a OneDrive account?

Comments

• Yes, when you install The Keep, you want to use the Portable Installation mode. Then you can install it into your OneDrive folder.

• Can you change it after installation? Just curious.

• You can manually. You'd have to

1. Make a backup of your DB(s) - "File -> Export Database".
    2. Re-install The Keep into your One Drive folder
    3. Import the DB

You'd just have to make sure you're using the correct new shortcut link when running the program.

The way The Keep works is on startup it looks under its own directory first for a database. If that database is there, it uses it. Otherwise it uses the one in Documents. The "Portable" option puts the database under the directory where the program is installed. So you'd actually install the program itself right into the One Drive folder. Any other Windows PC that has access to that One Drive folder would be able to run The Keep without installation.

So technically you can have any number of installs of The Keep on your computer, each with their own databases if you install them using the Portable option.

There's another advanced option that lets you define the database path via command line. Its "/docpath" I believe. So you'd modify the shortcut link to "KeepCM /docpath "c:\where\I\want\the\database". Under this scenario, you'd then have one copy of the program that uses multiple database paths.

• If you try to move the database, you may also be able to just copy the database files into their new location. But that may be complicated if you have a lot of attachments.

• Ok. I uninstalled TheKeep and then reinstalled, but the installer does not look like the picture above with the portable installation. It gives a hint to install in your cloud drive folders, but the only folders accessible are on C drive.

• I think that shows up the first time you run The Keep itself. You may have to delete the database in the Documents folder.

Leave a Comment