Silly question about planetary rotation

I've been fooling around with some of the AS3 data, and I've come across an interesting artifact. Not terribly significant, just puzzling. In system after system I find that the planetary rotations start off as floating point numbers with several decimal places of precision, then change to integral values. For example, in the 'Buma' system:

I     Terr            331.5386
II    Terr            485.0698
III   Terr            156.2291
IV    Terr            31
V     Terr            -21
VI    Terr            38
VII   Terr            37
VIII  Terr            19

etc. This particular system had ten terrestrial planets with the remainder following a similar pattern. Other systems in this sector show the same behaviour. The closest I have come to an explanation, is that the break point is when the orbital period exceeds 1 year. I have, however, seen at least one exception.

Again, this is not critical, just curious. I thought that perhaps the floating point values were in 'hrs' and the integral values had units of 'days', but if so, they are not labelled so. I noticed this in XML export data, but have gone back to the original sector and the values are the same.

Thanks in advance,

Anthony

Comments

• I don't know why it does this. Another problem with rotations is the tidallly locked bodies which give rotation periods as 0. This is wrong and effects the geostationary orbit results. An actual tidally locked world should have its orbital period and rotation period the same.

• Its probably due to which part of the generator last touched it. Different parts of the generator may be inconsistently rounding the numbers.

Leave a Comment