Patched Vintyri Symbol Presets Available

pscovermed.jpg

We've spent the last few days thoroughly testing the reload of the Vintyri (TM) Symbol Presets Package and it appears that everything now works as it should. The main problems in the original were due to corruption of the uploaded files, but I found a few things that I botched too. One problem goes back to June, when we released Symbol Set 2. Somehow, three of the symbols (which are used in the presets) didn't make it into our SS2 zip file. You can correct that by installing the patch offered here in a separate posting. In assembling the PDF for the presets, there were errors and omissions in the symbol catalogs at the booklet's end. If you downloaded Version 1.0, you have those errors. The link below will give you the corrected Version 1.01 of the PDF. The Vintyri presets release is a first free and open expansion pack for the Fractal Mapper (TM) 8 version of the Vintyri Cartographic Collection. It consists of 168 symbol presets that can be used to fill out city blocks in towns and villages quickly on FM8 maps. The collection has the same raster graphic quality as the individual symbols in the cartographic collection. Even in a map three scale miles wide, you can zoom in on a single building in a preset without detail loss. The ability to make and use symbol presets is one of the most powerful raster mapping tools in FM8. The presets can be edited directly in FM8, but they contain no symbols as such. FM8 symbol presets have special abilities and special limitations that normal symbols do not have. Therefore, we strongly urge all interested users to download the free and open 28-page PDF that accompanies this release before downloading the four ZIP files with symbol presets. These ZIPs have a size of 56 to 66 MB each for a total of nearly 244 MB. Therefore, it would be helpful to understand these special abilities and limitations before making the large downloads.This material is released under the Open Game License version 1.0a. Please note that because this set contains no JPG or PNG graphics, it cannot be used with other mapping or graphical programs. It can be opened and edited only with FM8. To download the illustrated and bookmarked PDF and/or to download the symbol presets, go to:

http://www.vintyri.com/vintyri/ps1.htm

Comments

• I applied the symbol set 2 patch and redownloaded all 4 files. Only one error on extraction, again it is with ps1_fm8_V
    The file that is corrupted is:
    ResidentialDbl02V_500x120SLA

Also, you should let people know that they must redownload all 4 of the new presets. Only applying the symbol set 2 patch and redownloading the V preset still leaves blank block plugs.

Otherwise, everything appears fixed. Even the MixedStructures06_500x100SLA file that was a duplicate of the 05 has been fixed. Great job bug zapping!
  • dcf6 wrote:
    I applied the symbol set 2 patch and redownloaded all 4 files. Only one error on extraction, again it is with ps1_fm8_V
    The file that is corrupted is:
    ResidentialDbl02V_500x120SLA

I'm surprised. I downloaded all of the files und unzipped them before releasing them, and so did my two colleagues. When we unzipped, no files corrupted. I just checked my unzip folder, and ResidentialDbl02V.120SLA is there in good shape in my unzip.

Is anyone else having this problem?

I wonder whether the file corruption occurred in downloading rather than uploading. If you download a second time and still get the corruption during unzipping, please let me know.
  • I tried downloading a second time before I posted.
  • dcf6 wrote:
    I tried downloading a second time before I posted.

Thanks for sticking with us on this. What program are you using to unzip the files?

I downloaded the file again after reading your posting, and when I unzip it, there's no corruption.

To solve this problem (which probably will affect some other users too), I need to pinpoint the cause. We're zipping in downward compatibility mode with WinZip 9. I use that version because I've never had a problem with it (at least until now). With other software, some downloaders have had problems,

Meanwhile, to get you the file that's corrupting during your unzip, I've temporarily put it unzipped on our website:

http://www.vintyri.com/ResidentialDbl02V_500x120SLA.fmp

I downloaded it too from this temporary address, and the unzipped download works fine.

I appreciate your problem reports, and I hope you'll stick with us until I have an answer (or I go frustrated into a cloistered monastery to hide for the rest of my life).
  • I'm currently using windows 7's built in unzip tool. When one is viewing the contents of a zipped folder, there is a button at the top of the folder that says extract. That's the method I'm currently using.

Thanks to the link you just provided I now have FM8 fully loaded with the vintyri catalog. Thanks for all the great free content!
  • dcf6 wrote:
    I'm currently using windows 7's built in unzip tool. When one is viewing the contents of a zipped folder, there is a button at the top of the folder that says extract. That's the method I'm currently using

I've heard that the built-in unpacking faciity of Windows Vista and Windows 7 sometimes doesn't unpack ZIP files properly, but that's hearsay. I have no first hand knowledge on that point. When you install WinZip, Windows deactivates those options.

I'll have to wait and see if anyone else reports problems.

Meanwhile, it's good that you finally got the file.
  • I've just downloaded and installed all the Vintyri Collections. I experienced the same problem with my Vista 64bit machine using the built-in unzip utility
  • Since my last posting, it's been documented that the Windows Unzip built-in has a number of problems. Download a good ZIP program like 7 Zip, WinZip or WinRar, use it, and you'll have no problems. This is a Windows problem that's easy to work around with the downloads I mentioned. It's not a problem with our ZIP files. We intend to keep our files compatible for users of other graphics software who run on a Mac, a LINUX system, etc. Therefore, we will keep zipping to the WinZip 8.0 standard, which is pretty much universal, and can be unpacked by just about any decent unzipper.

Leave a Comment