Need some help importing continent map files into a world map?

Hello folks -

if this has been asked/answered somewhere, please let me know? I'll happily trudge over and read up.

I'm picking up pieces after my husband passed away 5 years ago.

He used FM8 to build most of the maps for our world Alquennas.
(www.alquennas.com )

The main problem is that he never made a full WORLD map. just individual maps for various continents as he needed them.

I've got most of the basics of moving around and drawing a map. I'm a bit better at playing around in FWE.

I've even worked out how to make a "base" that's the size of the world.

What I need to do is import the individual continent maps (and here's the tricky bit) to scale onto that base and then position them. That way I can find out what other maps I'm missing and need to draw in to make the master world map.

I think I need to import them as objects? and then resize (I hope). then I can "link" back to his continent map files for the in depth stuff?

I'm just worried about messing up layer wise...

any advice is gratefully appreciated...

thank you!

Allison E. Kaese

Comments

• Hi Allison,

First off, I know this is late, but I'm so sorry to hear about Kory. We used to email back and forth on occasion back in the day. My condolences.

On to maps... there's a couple ways you can do this.

Perhaps the easiest would be to open the continent map, select the landmass objects (or select all, if you want to copy everything), and copy that. Then, do a File->Open in the mapper (same Mapper window, don't open a new one, don't save the continent map when it asks) to open your world map. Paste the objects into the world map. You then will probably have to move and/scale to make things fit right.

Another way is to do this is to open your World map, and then use File -> Place from the menu to select your continent map. That will place it right on the map. You can size and place it as needed. But, it will be placed as a symbol. If you need to get at the individual parts of the continent map, you'll need to select it and then use Actions -> Explode Symbol from the menu to break it apart into its components.

Another possible way, similar to the above, is to use File->Place to place the continents. Then use the fractal polygon tool to trace over the land masses. Once done, delete the placed objects. This would be most useful if the continent maps have landmasses that run off the edge of the map. This would allow you to create the entire continent out of parts.

Let me know how it goes or if you have any other questions.

• Ed -

Thank you for the condolences. I'm still just taking it one day at a time. That's part of the reason it's taken me 5 years to even crack the files.

re the maps: I'm glad to see I had the right idea for the process. I'm going to try those methods and let you know.

crossing my fingers

AEK

Leave a Comment