RPG City Map Generator

Anyone know how to get this plug-in working? it doesn't even want to open the proper file extension that the RPGCity Map generator program saves!

Thanks for any help with this.

Comments

• i guess no one has an answer for this??
  • PyroTech03 wrote:
    i guess no one has an answer for this??

You're probably right. I got the same results you did and never bothered to try it again.
  • That's sad. I'm not too much good at doing layout's that make sense and loved the idea of using it to give me a start up point.

thanks for the reply at least :)
  • Just tried it - the plugin works perfectly.

Make sure you're running version 5.4.0 of the RPG City Map Generator, and when you save the city map from RPG City Map Generator, use the 'save as' menu item under the City Map menu, not the one under 'city settings'. The one under the 'city settings' saves the generation parameters, not the city. What you should end up with is a file that ends with .sgs.

I did have to do this under XP, because RPG City Map Generator wouldnt install under my copy of vista (but that may not be a universal problem).

• Hello!

I DO use a sgs file created with the rpg Map Creator. It opens, but it's like a Kandinsky nightmare.

The problem I have is that I obtain a green square, with a single rock in it. Then I change the map setting (350 m to 3500 or 35000 m) and it's like an Uber Zoom, with all the building cramped together. Maybe I must change some setting on the map creator, I don'tknow.
  • Ok, I'vew tried all is in my (scarce) possibilities, but the program doesn't correctly import the maps. The result is a heavily distorted and enlarged view. What can I do?
  • Hi,
    I'm the one that wrote the RPG City Map importer. One thing that I had noticed in the past is anyone using Windows from a region OTHER than the US would get very strange results using this importer due to VBScript handling decimal values using the European convention rather than the US convention.

Unfortunately I do not have a non-US version of Windows and have no way of bug testing the scripts even if I did go in and change all decimals to use ',' rather than '.' .

If you are running a US version of Windows, I have no idea why you would be getting those results since it still works the same on my system. (I have not tested it on Vista / Win7).

If you are running a version of windows from another region, and you are adventurous you could go through and change all decimal references to the European standards and see if it will work for you. Several people have done this and got it working on Non-US Windows versions but I am unable to help you with this other than giving you the information I have.
  • FM had to deal with non-US formatted numbers as well, particularly in earlier versions. Thats always an annoying gotchya.
  • Programs that do not check to see what the Windows setting for decimal and thousand symbols are often will behave strangely. Many countries use the continental European system, where there is a decimal comma and a point (dot) every three digits starting with 1,000. The English language, of course, uses the decimal point and the thousand comma.

A well-programmed Windows application will check to see what setting is active. However, if your program doesn't do that and you're going to work with it for more than a minute or two, you can temporarily change the setting. If you're working with an English or German version of Windows, it goes as follows. If you have a different international version, you'll have to find your own vocabulary.

English Windows 7:

1. Open the control panel.
    2. Pick Region and Language
    3. Click the radio button Additional Settings
    4. Change the settings

German Windows 7:

1. Systemsteuerung öffnen,
    2. Die Option Region und Sprache wählen.
    3. Den Schalter Weitere Einstellungen anklicken.
    4. Die Einstellungen ändern.

You can use similar paths with Windows Vista and Windows XP.

Also important; If you're using the Ultimate version of Windows 7, you can change your Windows language at will. I, for instance, have the German version of Windows, but I often run it in English mode, which gives me the same basic surface as the U.S. version. However, switching languages will not switch the decimal comma-point settings! That still needs to be done manually.

The decimal comma-point issue probably is the reason I never could get the thing to work. See my earlier posting above. I never tried changing the decimal point-comma system.
  • On a side note. I just verified today that you can install and run the RPG City Map Generator on Windows 7 32 or 64 bit just fine. Just make sure you DO NOT install it into the Program Files folder, choose a different path.

Also I verified that the Importer still works just fine.

I have briefly looked into trying to fix the Importer to be region aware but I am unable to find a workable solution with VBScript alone.
  • I really like everything about the converter; but I cannot get the .sgs file to open or even open the 'RPGCG Import Settings' under the File menu in FM8... I get a dialog box that states, "Microsoft VBScript Runtime Error." I am (still) running Windows XP - I tried updating FM to 8.10 and made certain that I am running RPGCG 5.40... But still nothing. I tried looking at the scripts in notepad, but being strictly an end-user tier 2 help desk support technician, I didn't have much of a clue when I attempted to create an rpgcg.ini file by copy/paste/prayer method. I thought for one quick moment that if I could perhaps figure that out, and bypass the settings step (I would be delighted with default settings!) then it might allow me to open the .sgs file? (Admittedly, I may be way off-base with my theory, but as my trouble has nothing to do with computer hardware, I find myself in uncharted territory.) I bought FM8 a few years back at GenCon Indy (along with AstroSynthesis 2.0!) and I found swiftly that I am not very good at starting maps from scratch, but this RPGCG converter has given me new hope to finally leave behind my old AD&D Core Rules 2.0 Map Maker and get into a REAL mapping program. I just need a bit of help getting past the "Microsoft VBScript Runtime Error" every time I try to get into Settings or open .sgs files.

My humble thanks in advance for any and all help! Bright blessings! :D

Leave a Comment