System Orbit Error

Whenever I right click on a system and click Show System Diagram, the orbits for the system shows up... but I can't move the camera in any way, no time passes, and the normally grey text in the upper left is white. If I close the display and reopen it by selecting it again, Astrosynthesis crashes completely, even if it's a completely different system. Note that this works on any system, regardless of size, and only affects stars; planets, even gas giants with complex moon systems, show up properly. This is bugging me; it hasn't always been like this, and I don't know what caused the change. Can anyone help?

MK

Comments

• Uh, help? I'm still getting the problem. Also, I noticed that it only happens in systems I've edited; ones generated by the program seem to run fine, regardless of their size.

MK
  • Whats different between the systems you edit and the generated ones? If I had to guess, I'd say the most likely cause would be bodies with a 0 distance from their parent. That can sometimes mess up the display.
  • Ho-ha! I found the problem, but I have no idea how to fix it. The problem is the surface maps; whenever I select a system in which a planet has a map assigned to it (as in all of my custom made systems), I get the above behavior. If I set the planets to have no map, then it acts normally. It's strange because it used to work perfectly, even with the maps, but now it doesn't. Any idea what's causing this?

MK
  • Does anyone have any ideas as to the problem/solution?

MK
  • No, I've not seen that sort of behavior before. My suspicion is that its video related. Your card/drivers might be having some problem handling the surface map texture.

I would try disabling hardware accelleration (if possible) on your system and seeing if you still get the problem. If the problem goes a way, thats usually an indicator of a driver problem. You can also check for updated video drivers, or even switch video modes back and forth (screen size, color depth), and see if the problem goes away.
  • Cranking down my hardware acceleration fixed the problem. It produces some weird artifacts, though, but at least I now have a way to view the systems properly. Thanks.

MK

Leave a Comment