Reset Symbol Memory

How can I reset the symbol memory on a mapping symbol. I accidentally stretched and distorted a symbol and now it is set that way, so that every time I add it to the map, I get a distorted version. I can see the use of symbol memory, but there must be a way to reset the symbol when one wants to start over.

EDIT: Just testing the behavior of this forum software.

Comments

• You should be able to just draw the symbol out again on the map, and it will update it with the new size. ie, dont just place it on the map, but actually specify a rectangle to place the symbol within.
  • Ed_NBOS wrote:
    You should be able to just draw the symbol out again on the map, and it will update it with the new size. ie, dont just place it on the map, but actually specify a rectangle to place the symbol within.

Hmmm. I've read this answer over five times now, but I still don't understand it. What kind of rectangle do you mean?

That aside ... I've distorted symbols in this manner too. The easiest solution for me was to close FM8 and then open it again.
  • MarkOliva wrote:
    Hmmm. I've read this answer over five times now, but I still don't understand it. What kind of rectangle do you mean?

instead of single clicking on the map to place a symbol, draw it out to the size you want. that is, select the symbol, then on the map, click at the top right of where you want the symbol to go, and drag until you get a selection rectangle of the desired size for the symbol. That will overwrite the symbol memory.

Simply resizing a symbol, now that I've double checked it, will also reset the symbol memory for that symbol.
    That aside ... I've distorted symbols in this manner too. The easiest solution for me was to close FM8 and then open it again.
    That also works :-) Actually, its probably a lot easier! iirc, I had intended on adding a 'forget memorized symbol sizes' menu option in the program, but I ended up leaving it out, not wanting to clutter the menu any more than was really needed.
  • Ed_NBOS wrote:
    You should be able to just draw the symbol out again on the map, and it will update it with the new size. ie, dont just place it on the map, but actually specify a rectangle to place the symbol within.

Yes, I could do that to create a new distorted symbol saved in symbol memory. But it is very difficult to create an opposite rectangle that will restore the original shape and dimension of the original symbol.
    MarkOliva wrote:

I stumbled across this solution as well. I'm glad, in this case, that the symbol memory was reset when I restarted FM8. But it would be nice to do it without bouncing the program.
  • Ed_NBOS wrote:
    I had intended on adding a 'forget memorized symbol sizes' menu option in the program, but I ended up leaving it out, not wanting to clutter the menu any more than was really needed.

It would probably make a nice context menu option. 'Right' click on a symbol and be able to reset it, i.e 'forget memorized symbol'
  • I've run into this as well.

Leave a Comment