Character sheet designer is not working whith my laptop.

I am running win 7 and my resolution is set to 1440 by 900. It works fine on my desktop.

Character sheet designer loads up. But it is like my mouse is out of sync with the program.

Comments

• Can you post a screenshot with marks of where you are clicking, and where the program thinks you are clicking? Does this happeon only on the sheet, or also in the menus and such?
  • It works fine in the menus and tabs. Just not in the worksheet. If you need more information let me know.
  • I think I found out what the problem is. I suspect whats going on is you laptop's display has a higher dpi than most displays. That can cause the location of items drawn to shift from where the program thinks they are because the program is using 96 DPI for calculations. If your monitor is higher than that, things will shift.

I've uploaded a new .exe here with a fix. Just replace your current CSDesigner.exe with this one.
    http://www.nbos.com/nox/index.php?action=1001&id=314

Since I dont have a laptop w/ that resolution screen, please test this out when you get a chance and let me know if it fixes the problem. Thanks!
  • Ed_NBOS wrote:
    I think I found out what the problem is.

I don't think things are all fixed yet. The patch improves things, but the fields still land a bit off from the selected position, and they're totally off position when they open in the viewer.

Some results:

With my main system at 1680x1050, there is an error of a full grid space upwards and to the left.

With the second system at 1280x1024, the error is less than half a grid space in each direction.

With a laptop at 1024x768, positions are correct.

My colleagues in the USA and Scotland are experiencing the same problems.

These results also occur with the NBOS sample character sheets.

Also, with all three of us, we are unable to activate text edit fields in the viewer in character sheets that we make ourselves. However, we can activate the fields in the NBOS sample sheets. I can't find any place where our settings are any different than yours.
  • The viewer hasnt been updated, so its not going to look any differently in that than it did before. You say it improved - specifically, in what way? is the shift not as noticable any more? I only adjusted the designer to look at horizontal dpi, so if you have different values for horizontal and vertical dpi's there still might tbe a problem. Can you check what the dpi is on your display?

Regarding the text boxes, I looked at the .csd file you sent. The text box has a zero height. You can use ctrl-a to select all the objects, which will display all the selection handles and you can see what I mean. If you drag the handles down so they form a rectangle, it takes care of the problem.
  • Ed_NBOS wrote:
    The viewer hasnt been updated, so its not going to look any differently in that than it did before. You say it improved - specifically, in what way?

Hi Ed!

I think you misunderstood me. The designer improved, not the viewer. The viewer still is as good as unusable because the actual field is so far away from the shown location.
    is the shift not as noticable any more? I only adjusted the designer to look at horizontal dpi, so if you have different values for horizontal and vertical dpi's there still might tbe a problem. Can you check what the dpi is on your display?

Right. The shift still is there but it's not as noticeable. The dpi adjustment probably is the problem. It's a wide monitor. I never have had to look up the dpi with Windows 7 before. The only information I can find is that it's set to use the Windows XP style dpi scaling at 125% normal size. It also says 9 point Segoe at 120 Pixels per inch. If you know a place in Windows 7 where I can find precise dpi values, let me know.
    Regarding the text boxes, I looked at the .csd file you sent. The text box has a zero height.

Why is that?
    You can use ctrl-a to select all the objects, which will display all the selection handles and you can see what I mean. If you drag the handles down so they form a rectangle, it takes care of the problem.

OK. That's easy enough to do.
  • Just for clarity's sake:

When I use a form created on my machine (1680x1050) in the viewer, I have to:

1. Click the space above the pink field.

2. Type in my text (which doesn't appear).

3. Click the pink field to make the text appear.

When I use a sample form from NBOS on my machine (1680x1050) in the viewer, I have to:

1. Click half a space above the pink field. A grey-green field appears, which doesn't happen with those that I create myself.

2. Type in my text (which doesn't appear).

3. Click the pink field to make the text appear
  • I uploaded another test build.

http://www.nbos.com/nox/index.php?action=1001&id=314

This has both the designer and viewer. Its definately the font dpi that was throwing things off, if it was set to something other than 96.
  • Hi Ed!

The new build solves most of the problems. Some small issues remain with my bigger screen, but they're nothing with which I can't live. As soon as I have time, I'll send you an E-Mail showing differences between my results and yours (in the sample character sheets).

Leave a Comment