More moons on gas giants?

Hello. I'm new to Astrosynthesis. I've been messing around with it to generate sectors but one thing doesnt really sit well with me that I need to fix before I can put the clusters I generate to use. In all of the solar systems I generate, the amount of moons on gas giants tends to be relatively tiny compared to Jupiter's, and at most, they still dont even come close to Jupiter's 63 moons.

Is there something I can tweak so that Astrosynthesis generally generates more moons for gas giants? I looked through all the options dialogs but can't find anything. It's important to me that gas giants have a more realistic amount of moons... And I work with huge galaxies, so no I can't add them manually.

Comments

• Help would be much appreciated since I don't feel I can continue my project with this...

How do I even edit the default generator? (and then make a plugin from the slightly edited generator) I can't find its script anywhere. It should really be easier to edit some aspects of the generator, ie let us edit some multipliers in there through a setting window...
  • From what I understand, "Small Bodies" is supposed to represent all of those miscellaneous tiny moons like what Jupiter has.
  • That'd be a little cheap. The 20 lightyear template that comes with astrosynthesis also has all those bodies, it doesn't just say "small bodies". I want to be able to see those bodies in orbit with generated stars too.
  • Kojiro wrote:
    From what I understand, "Small Bodies" is supposed to represent all of those miscellaneous tiny moons like what Jupiter has.

Yep - That is correct.
  • s0meguy wrote:
    That'd be a little cheap. The 20 lightyear template that comes with astrosynthesis also has all those bodies, it doesn't just say "small bodies". I want to be able to see those bodies in orbit with generated stars too.

The moons in the example were manually added in. So if you need more moons, just add them in.

Or, create a script that generates what you consider an acceptable number of moons.
  • In my experience Astrosynthesis will generate more child bodies in proportion to the mass and gravity of the planet. If you want more moons, increase the size of the planet then regenerate child bodies - you should get more moons.
  • That is correct. Larger bodies tend to equal more moons. Moons are often generated but 'removed' from a planet due to whats called the Hill Sphere. Thats the distance from the planet that a moon can be sustained. Any further out and the effect of the parent star's gravity exceeds that of the planet, causing it to lose moons. The Hill Sphere is calculated for every planet, and any moon that is generated outside of it will be considered lost.

Leave a Comment