Error

edited February 2010 in AstroSynthesis General
Check out the attached JPG file. This shows an error I've been getting.

I'm running an HP computer with Windows VISTA Home Edition. It has 1gb RAM and a duo-core 1.5gHz processor. Since I am a programmer, I have Windows Visual Studio 2005 as well as SQL and MS Server. I'm not sure why I am getting this error.

This happens when I re-generate a planetary surface map. I can go through several planets, then it throws this error when I try another planet. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

Also, I'm not getting the maps for the Sector Report Outputs. Out of 6 maps, I might get 3 or 4. So I go through and re-generate the planetary surface. If I do them all at once, I might get all the maps in the Sector File. It's discriminate, though.

As for an addition to the Astro3 Program, being able to save files in the same location instead of entering the location all the time would be awesome. Also opening the last file worked on and configuring the window to be the same as when I shut the program down would be awesome improvements. Right now it opens in a full screen and I have to resize it to my desktop. Then I have to manually open the sector file. It can be a pain sometimes.

Thanks for Listening!!!
Kevin

Comments

• Does this occur with a specific type of surface map (terrestrial vs gas giant)? Or both?

Since this is on Vista, are you running in XP compatibility mode? There can be some permissions issues under Vista depending on where its writing the surface maps to.
  • O.K. I'm not running it in XP SP2 compatibility mode. Should I? Maybe...

As for the error, it generally happens for either, though the majority of the time it's for Terrestrial planets. Occasionally, I'll get a Gas Giant planet error, but that's very rare. (And it could be the compatibility issue).

Let me try running it in compatible mode and see if I get any errors. Another problem I have is that sometimes (irregularly) I am looking at a system diagram, then close it out, then try to open a different planet's system diagram (both gas giants and terrestrial or even star), I'll get an error.

It might just not like Vista!

Thanks,
    Kevin
  • I have had that problem since I bought the program .... and it persisted from XP thru SP1 and SP2 to my new vista machine .... seems to be about the 6th time I create a surface map after I've edited one in FWE

I have created about 20 terrestrial planets/moons surface maps without trying to edit any without issues but then I get that warning if I edit one.

Leave a Comment