[Need Help] Adding a Border

Very new to FM, but like it so far. Question though, How do you add a Border to a map. In the templates it only gives the rune border option. How do I add more options? I was hoping once I paid it would have a lot more options.

Thanks

Comments

• Very new to FM, but like it so far. Question though, How do you add a Border to a map. In the templates it only gives the rune border option. How do I add more options? I was hoping once I paid it would have a lot more options.

Making borders is so easy in FM8 that a pre-made border collection probably would be superfluous.

You mention that you're very new to FM, so I can't estimate how well you know the program at this stage. If the instructions below overload your circuits, and if you haven't done so yet, I'd strongly urge you to download the FM8 tutorials. The basic NBOS tutorial, keyed primarily to vector mapping, is available free from the NBOS site at:

http://www.nbos.com/nox/index.php?action=1001&id=125

The advanced tutorial that our group wrote, which concentrates upon raster mapping (and is a follow-up to the NBOS tutorial), is available here on the NBOS website at:

http://www.nbos.com/vintyri/pdftu01.zip

You also should download the tutorial support pack at:

http://www.nbos.com/vintyri/tu01sptpack01.zip

I don't know whether you want to make a vector or a raster border, but the steps for both are just about identical. Before you start, you should decide what scale width you want your border to have. Once you've done that:

1. Use the menu options Map/Grids.
    2. Pick the square grid style option and set the grid height and width to your desired border width.
    3. Use the Map menu option again and activate the Snap to Square Grids option.
    4. Activate the layer upon which you wish to have the frame.
    5. Make sure that the Fill Style (upper right in your screen) is set to Solid Fill.
    6. Pick a color, any color.
    7. Use the rectangle tool and make a rectangle that fills the entire screen (red in the screen shot below).
    8. Pick another color that contrast clearly with the first rectangle's color.
    9. Use the rectangle tool again and made a second rectangle one grid width within the first rectangle (yellow in the screen shot below.

You now should have something like the following:

10. With the mouse, click the outer rectangle (red in the screen shot).
    11. With the Shift key (for capital letters) held pressed, click the inner rectangle (yellow in the screen shot).
    12. Click the menu option Actions.
    13. In the pulldown menu, click the options Combine Polygons.
    14. In the next menu, pick the option Subtract.

That should cut the second rectangle out of the first, leaving you with something like this:

You now have your frame. At this point, you can click the frame and pick any formatting options you want. If you want a raster fill pattern, simply click the frame and then pick the desired fill pattern from the Fill Style combo box is the upper left corner of your screen.
  • Thanks for the answer. I feel like an idiot now. It is pretty easy.

I had done the tutorials, but thanks for your pdf.

I guess for the rune border to do the corners separate you just make corners and do them differently than the rectangle.

Thanks again

Leave a Comment