AS 3 Mutlithreaded?

So i'm curious will AS 3 be multi threaded as i have a tendency to generate large star maps (20000ly, 20000ly, 20000ly) and it can take days / more then a week sometimes to render out all of the map.

Comments

• Yes, sort of. The generation is done in a background thread in AS3, which allows you to zoom around on the map while its being generated. It only uses a single background thread, though, as the bottleneck in generation is memory allocation, not processor power. Adding additional threads wouldnt speed things up.

The surface map generation is multithreaded, and will take advantage of multiple cores. Thats a case where the bottleneck is processor power, so multiple threads running on multiple cores improves speed dramatically.
  • Ed,

Thanks for your quick reply.

Will AS3 beable to use 64bit memory structuring?

It currently tells me im out of memory at 1.8gb of ram used. when the system has 48GB of ram.
  • Astro 3 is a 32-bit app.
  • Ed,

Any chance of the next version of astro allowing 64 bit memory allocation?

Current version claims out of memory after 1.8gb is used.
  • necrogami wrote:
    Any chance of the next version of astro allowing 64 bit memory allocation?
    Current version claims out of memory after 1.8gb is used.

I imagine it will eventually move to 64 bit.

If you are making a huge system, you might try filling in the stars without any data (placements only). Then generating them after the fact in smaller chunks. The reason its using all that ram is because its keeping all the generated contents in memory. If it was done in pieces, and saved to file in between, it'd clear out the memory.

Leave a Comment