Binary Star system display scales are strange

edited January 2012 in AstroSynthesis General
I created a bunch (27) of sectors in AS2 and would like to import them into AS3. I brought my first sector over and checked a known Binary system - Alpha Centauri. Noticing that I could now display the combined system, I entered values into the X,Y,Z for the two stars to put them the correct distance away from one another. When I go back to the combined system view, I get the stars at 24AU apart and the planetary orbits displaying at a much larger scale so that they appear to be overlapping one another. For example Alpha Centauri B.II has an orbit around Alpha Centauri B of .21AU. on the combined system display, its orbit crosses through Alpha Centauri A at 24AU. That is a 100 times increase in orbit.

Did I do something wrong? How can I fix this? I suppose I could just multiply the star's distance by 100, but that doesn't look right either.

Dan

Comments

• In the preview, Astro exaggerates the scale. Otherwise at astronomical scales you wouldnt see the planetary orbital lines.
  • That certainly explains it. Though it does not help me visualize the system as a whole. I can click on each star individually to view the detail on the orbits around that star. I guess I'd rather it not exaggerate the orbit scale in a multiple star system preview.

Dan

Leave a Comment