Trouble with parsecs

Hi all,

I'm just getting into AstroSynthesis, and while I'm finding it fairly intuitive, I am having one really frustrating problem...

If I create a sector using light year measurements, everything seems to work fine. But if I create a system in parsecs (or change to parsecs later), things get a little crazy.

A.S. doesn't seem to like or remember my sector size. After sector generation, opening the Sector Properties menu will display incorrect dimensions for my sector (say I create a 3 parsec cube system, Sector Properties might then show the sector's x,y,z fields as, say, ~0.9 parsecs. If I correct those fields, it apparently doesn't save when I close the window (reverts to it's original wacky number [or possibly a different-but-still-incorrect number...?]).

Additionally, my parsec problem also seems to make the grid go nuts. If I open Sector Properties, the grid dimension also displays different, incorrect x,y,z values. And here's the weirdest part: whenever I close Sector Properties, the grid visually shrinks by about 1/3; whether or not I even changed anything in the Sector Properties window. This grid shrinkage (and possibly the sector shrinkage as well; I need to poke around more) compounds every time the Sector Properties menu is closed (whether I've made changes or not). If I open the menu, close it, open, close, etc., my grid just keeps getting smaller, and smaller, and smaller, until I can't see it anymore. Again, the Sector Properties window doesn't seem to recognize my attempts to fix any of these values (sector size or grid).

Because the problem trends toward giving me errors of roughly 1/3, and since a parsec is 3.26 light years, I'm inclined to suspect there's some kind of ly/pc conversion value or formula that got copied incorrectly somewhere along the way...?

(Or I could be crazy and using the program wrong. Either way, I'm sticking with LY for the time being.)

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

Leave a Comment