trouble with disappearing text

Hello,
I am a newbie at using fractal mapper. it looks soo cool but unfortunately I am not so savvy working with graphics programs so I would really appreciate some help. I have drawn a map with a continent, some rivers and some mountains all on different layers. Now, I tried to use the text tool to put the name of a city. I write it in the box and when I right click as to let go of the tool the text does not appear on the map. Could it be buried beneath somehow? Anybody else had this problem?

Comments

• It would be easier to help you if you posted your map and told us what layer the text is on. Then we could try to see what the problem is.
  • MarkOliva wrote:
    It would be easier to help you if you posted your map and told us what layer the text is on. Then we could try to see what the problem is.

I posted the map. I think I tried to put text on the Political Layer, on General and also on Layer 10. No luck. I write the text and then i hit tab like Help says and I can't see anything on the map. Thanks for looking into it.
  • Its seems ok. I was able to place text on the map without a problem. All the layers are set to visible.

Things to check/try

Check that the transparency isnt set such that the text is invisible (bottom right of the window, right above the color bar)

Make sure the font size makes sense in map's context. The font size is the text size in the map's units. So if you set it to 10 on a 5000 mile wide map, the text will be 10 miles tall, and may be too small to show.

Try switching to a different font name. I've come across some fonts that dont render. Its unusual, but it happens once in a while.
  • Ed_NBOS wrote:
    Its seems ok. I was able to place text on the map without a problem. All the layers are set to visible.

Things to check/try

Check that the transparency isnt set such that the text is invisible (bottom right of the window, right above the color bar)

Make sure the font size makes sense in map's context. The font size is the text size in the map's units. So if you set it to 10 on a 5000 mile wide map, the text will be 10 miles tall, and may be too small to show.

Try switching to a different font name. I've come across some fonts that dont render. Its unusual, but it happens once in a while.

Thank you for your advice. I found the problem, it was indeed the default font selection which was invisible for some reason (Ahoma). Now I can use text. Question: Are you able to bend the text to make it a curve? I need that for river names. Thanks again.
  • tarmaras wrote:
    Question: Are you able to bend the text to make it a curve? I need that for river names. Thanks again.

We handle that by:

1, Clicking the text with the right mouse key.

2. Pickimg the option "Free Rotate"

3. Rotating so that the text is on the angle of the river.

Leave a Comment