I could use some ideas on how to tackle this.

I'm trying to figure out how to code a mechanic for the following rule:

"If in a combat situation a character fails a Fear Test, he must immediately roll The Shock Table, adding +10 to the result for each degree of failure."

In the code below, what I've done is create a variable that adds the degree of failure to a d100 roll, curiously however when I run it although I get numbers I would expect, often times I get no result at all. The generator just returns a blank... I'm trying to figure that out first then I need to tackle how to use that generated number to call the correct entry from the ShockTable. I tried using the [#table] tag as that's worked before but it didn't work this time.

I'd appreciate any help on this!
Header: The Shock Table - Input the Dgrees of Failure

Prompt: Degrees of Failure {} 0

Table: ShockRoller
{ShockRoll=({Prompt1}*10+{1d100})}

{ShockRoll}
EndTable:

Table: ShockTable
1–20:The character is badly startled. He may only take a single Half Action when in his next Turn, but afterwards he may act normally.

21–40:Fear grips the character and he begins to shake and tremble. He is at a –10 penalty on all Tests for the rest of the encounter unless he can recover his wits by "Snapping out of it".

41–60:Reeling with shock, the character backs away from the thing that confronts them. The character cannot willingly approach the object of his fear, but may otherwise act normally, with a –10 penalty on all Tests until the end of the encounter. The character gains 1 Insanity Point.

61–80:The character is frozen by terror. The character may make no Actions until he snaps out of it. After snapping out of it, the character will make all Tests with a –10 penalty for the rest of the encounter. The character gains 1d5 Insanity Points.

81–100:Panic grips the character. He must flee the source of his fear, if able, as fast as he can, and if prevented from doing so he may only take Half Actions and is at a –20 penalty to all Tests. The character gains 1d5 Insanity Points. Once away from the danger he must successfully snap out of it to regain control.

101–120:Fainting dead away, the character keels over and remains unconscious for 1d5 Rounds. Once he regain consciousness he is still shaken and takes all Tests with a –10 penalty until the end of the encounter. The character gains 1d5 Insanity Points.

121–130:Totally overcome, the character screams and vomits uncontrollably for 1d5 Rounds. During this time he is helpless, may do nothing and drop anything he is holding. Afterwards, until the end of the encounter, the character may only take a single Half Action each Turn until he can rest. The character gains 1d5 Insanity Points.

131–140:The character laughs hysterically and randomly attacks anything near him in a manic frenzy, firing wildly or using whatever weapon he has to hand. This effect lasts until the character snaps out of it, or until he is knocked unconscious. The character gains 1d5 Insanity Points.

141–160:The character crumples to the ground for 1d5+1 Rounds sobbing, babbling and tearing at his own flesh, and may do nothing. Even after he returns to his senses, he is a complete mess and at a –20 penalty on all Tests until the end of the encounter. The character gains 1d5+1 Insanity Points.

161–170:The character’s mind snaps and he becomes catatonic for 1d5 hours and may not be roused. The character gains 1d10 Insanity Points.

171-1000:The character is so affected that he begins to see strange and terrible visions as his hold on reality shatters. The character suffers the effects of “acute hallucinations” (see Disorders, page 234) for 2d10 Rounds. After the hallucinations fade, the character will make all Tests with a –20 penalty while the encounter lasts. The character gains 2d10 Insanity Points and takes 1d10 points of permanent Willpower damage.
EndTable:

Footer: Shock and snapping out of it:<br>Characters may be able to shake off some of the effects of Fear after the initial shock has worn off. Where specified in the Shock Table result that a character may “snap out of it”, a character can make a Willpower Test when it is his next Turn. If this succeeds then he regains his senses, shrugs off the effects and may act normally from then on. If he fails this Test, the effect continues and he may try

Comments

• This is how i fixed the shock table. It always works for me:
    Header: Shock 

Prompt: Degrees of Failure {} 0

Table: ShockTableRoller
    [#{1d100+{$prompt1} * 10} ShockTable]

Table: ShockTable
    Type: Lookup
    1-20:The character is badly startled. He may only take a single Half Action when in his next Turn, but afterwards he may act normally.
    21-40:Fear grips the character and he begins to shake and tremble. He is at a –10 penalty on all Tests for the rest of the encounter unless he can recover his wits by "Snapping out of it".
    41-60:Reeling with shock, the character backs away from the thing that confronts them. The character cannot willingly approach the object of his fear, but may otherwise act normally, with a –10 penalty on all Tests until the end of the encounter. The character gains 1 Insanity Point.
    61-80:The character is frozen by terror. The character may make no Actions until he snaps out of it. After snapping out of it, the character will make all Tests with a –10 penalty for the rest of the encounter. The character gains 1d5 Insanity Points.
    81-100:Panic grips the character. He must flee the source of his fear, if able, as fast as he can, and if prevented from doing so he may only take Half Actions and is at a –20 penalty to all Tests. The character gains 1d5 Insanity Points. Once away from the danger he must successfully snap out of it to regain control.
    101-120:Fainting dead away, the character keels over and remains unconscious for 1d5 Rounds. Once he regain consciousness he is still shaken and takes all Tests with a –10 penalty until the end of the encounter. The character gains 1d5 Insanity Points.
    121-130:Totally overcome, the character screams and vomits uncontrollably for 1d5 Rounds. During this time he is helpless, may do nothing and drop anything he is holding. Afterwards, until the end of the encounter, the character may only take a single Half Action each Turn until he can rest. The character gains 1d5 Insanity Points.
    131-140:The character laughs hysterically and randomly attacks anything near him in a manic frenzy, firing wildly or using whatever weapon he has to hand. This effect lasts until the character snaps out of it, or until he is knocked unconscious. The character gains 1d5 Insanity Points.
    141-160:The character crumples to the ground for 1d5+1 Rounds sobbing, babbling and tearing at his own flesh, and may do nothing. Even after he returns to his senses, he is a complete mess and at a –20 penalty on all Tests until the end of the encounter. The character gains 1d5+1 Insanity Points.
    161-170:The character’s mind snaps and he becomes catatonic for 1d5 hours and may not be roused. The character gains 1d10 Insanity Points.
    170-1000:The character is so affected that he begins to see strange and terrible visions as his hold on reality shatters. The character suffers the effects of “acute hallucinations” (see Disorders, page 234) for 2d10 Rounds. After the hallucinations fade, the character will make all Tests with a –20 penalty while the encounter lasts. The character gains 2d10 Insanity Points and takes 1d10 points of permanent Willpower damage.

Footer: Shock and snapping out of it:<br>Characters may be able to shake off some of the effects of Fear after the initial shock has worn off. Where specified in the Shock Table result that a character may “snap out of it”, a character can make a Willpower Test when it is his next Turn. If this succeeds then he regains his senses, shrugs off the effects and may act normally from then on. If he fails this Test, the effect continues and he may try

• Awesome! Thanks so much for the fix.

Leave a Comment