Vector symbols not square?

It seems that whenever I create a custom symbol from within FM, it is always in a square formation(the surrounding handles).
FM_Symbol_Handles_zps53344a01.png
I can see that built-in symbols have also rectangular symbols but after experimenting quite a bit, I do not seem to get that working.
FM_Symbol_Handles_2_zps9bb99893.png
Anyone knows something about this?

[Edited]
Used another image hosting

Comments

• Your samples apparently were not attached properly, which makes it difficult to know what's happening. (See the graphic above.)
  • I seems that if one instead of using the Create Symbol command and just save the entire fmp-file to the MapArt folder then the "active area" is displayed correctly.
  • OK. I see what you're asking now.

1) If you want to draw an object and make it into a vector symbol, just do it, as you've noted, and save your work as a map in the symbol file folder where you want it to be. The menu action Create Symbol is superfluous in this case.

2) Create Symbol can be advantageous in another respect of vector work. Let's assume that you're making a map and you have created one or more new objects on the map. It occurs to you at that time that these objects, individually or as a group, probably are going to be needed more than once and it would be useful to have them in a symbol library. Even though these are objects among others in a map, you still can make symbols of them as follows:

a) Choose the Pointer tool (the one with arrow).
    b) Click the first object that should be a part of the symbol. If that's the only object to be included in the symbol, jump to step d).
    c) Hold the Shift key pressed and then click any other objects that you want to be within the symbol, marking them, in effect.
    d) Once you've marked all of the objects that you want within the symbol, Click the menu option Actions (where you found Create Symbol.)
    e) Then click the pulldown menu option Export Symbol.
    f) Enter the path to the library folder you want and a file name for the symbol.

The map upon which you were working still is active at this point, and you can continue working on it if you want, but the selected object(s) is/are in the new vector symbol in your symbol library.

And yes, you're right. The new symbol will be in a square frame. That's unimportant, however, because everything in the frame other than your object(s) is transparent.
  • MarkOliva wrote:
    That's unimportant, however, because everything in the frame other than your object(s) is transparent.

Except that snapping could be a bit troublesome - which is why I wanted to get a optimum frame.
    No matter, I know now how to approach the phenomena.
    Thanks for the reply!
  • Except that snapping could be a bit troublesome

I think you''re 100% right there. That's why it's important to make symbols before you need them, rather than grabbing them as second thoughts out of a map!

Leave a Comment