Data Format

Greetings:

I'm very interested in AstroSynthesis. As I have my own star and solar system information, I am interested in two features advertised for AstroSynthesis. They are:
1. "Data Import ... Or use the .xml import to bring in data stored in AstroSynthesis' XML format."
2. "Customizable Data ... You can customize your map to track your own data fields with each body on your map."

I am very curious to know more about these features. I'm a programmer and would like to code the necessary routines to convert my start chart data into the AstroSynthesis XML format, so that I can use my startchart in AstroSynthesis. Is this format public, or can I sign an NDA and get it?

As far as the customizable data, I assume we can include any number of XML fields with data? I need to add about 20-30 fields.

Thanks,
Mark Wilkinson
Tower Ravens LLC

Comments

• There's no 'official' xml format per se. The xml import/export is done via scripts, but the scripts can be modified or re-written to suit your needs. Check out the downloads section of nox (http://www.nbos.com/nox) for a bunch of sample scripts.

The API reference itself is can be found here:
    http://www.nbos.com/support/docs/AlienAPI/index.html
  • Thank you for sending me in the right direction. The AlienAPI is helpful, as is reviewing the XMLImport.AstroScript. Also, looking at an XML file that was exported from AstroSynthesis was also helpful.

I think it will be easiest if I export my data to XML format that the XMLImport.AstroScript expects. That seems the simplest way to get my data from my custom application and into AstroSynthesis.

I have a few questions:

1. Both the sector and body objects have an "ID" (string) field. Is this ID required? I assume it must be a unique identifier?

2. "Spherical" (boolean) must mean the sector is a sphere (true) or a cuboid, ie a 3D rectangle (false). I assume that if it a cuboid, SizeX, SizeY, and SizeZ define the shape. What property defines the size if it is a sphere?

3. Does the sector have to be centered at the point 0,0,0, or does RenderCameraTarget define the center of the sector?

4. What "GridStyle" parameters are valid, and what do they mean?

5. In the exported XML file, there is a "Bodies" object. It is not documented in the AlienAPI. Does it have any properties other than "Count"?

6. Are the "Count", "VisibleCount", and "BodyCount" parameters required for parsing the XML tree of Body objects or they optional fields used just to display data for the user?

7. For the "Customizable Data Fields", how are those placed in XML?

8. Here's one that is perhaps way out: What properties are used to define the orbital parameters of the stars in a binary system?

Thanks!

Mark

Leave a Comment