Designer bug?

I was working on a custom character sheet to use in my new campaign, however (as I was creating an inventory page) a window popped up telling me that the designer was out of memory.
So, I saved my work and closed it down. It prompted me to save before closing and I saved again. But, upon opening the file again, it was blank. All the pages were blank and even some of the page tabs displayed no name. All of my progress was gone.

I'm running the 1.0 version on Windows 8, I'm not sure what other data is needed (as I rarely need technical support) but, I'll provide anything needed.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Comments

• I am not sure if you just excluded the 'c' in the version but I believe the latest version is 1.01c. If you aren't using that you would probably want to switch over to using that one. If it's not a typo, then I can only speculate but this was written with some old stuff, i think VB6, and one of two things sounds like it could have reasonably happened. Either windows 8 wasn't playing nice with the software or it literally ran out of system memory and the computer could no longer support the application. I'd lean towards the former if you have 8+ gb of ram and I don't think there is much else you could do short of spending time trying to see if you an narrow down the incompatibility and then see if there is even a fix for it. If you're in the 4gb range or maybe even in the 8, it is possible for this application to crash because it can take up an exponential cpu/ram usage if the scripts aren't done correctly, but even then you'd need to have a fairly large script, (1000+ lines I'd imagine). If you had a lot of scripting then you'll need to have everything run under a single driver method that calls all the other functions when a change is made. I think there might be another post going into more detail on that.

Leave a Comment