Inspiration Pad Pro 3.0 CGI executables

The CGI / Command line executables for Inspiration Pad 3.0 can be found here:

http://www.nbos.com/nox/index.php?action=1001&id=539

This includes executables for Linux (64 bit) and Windows (32 bit).

Comments

• This is perfect. I plan to try running this from a raspberry pi that we use as a game/file server. I'll add a handy little web server option with useful scripts!!!
  • Excellent .. thank you very much :)
  • Any plans to have this available as 32bit for Linux?

• Is there any documentation on how to use these?

• I second that, is there any documentation on how to use these?

• edited January 2019

Usage:

ipad3cgi generator-file nReps [options]

Where generator-file is the generator to run, nreps is the number of repetitions to run, and [options] is any passed command line options (see below). Only generator-file is required as a parameter. If the number of repetitions is not provided, the default 20 will be run (limited by any MaxReps commands in the generators itself).

Example:

ipad3cgi randomnames.ipt 20 -q -t

Which would run 20 repetitions of a generator named randomnames.ipt, and output the results without http headers and as plain text.

Command line options:

-q

Suppresses output of http header. Use this when calling the program from the command line.

-t

Outputs results as text, not html. Note that this does not strip any HTML being inserted by the generator itself. This will, though, automatically set the filter formatting to 'text'.

• These were actually in the v2 help, so when these were posted the only people looking for them were v2 users.

• Is there a crazy easy way for a dummy like me call an .ipt generator (without prompts) via a web browser search bar line. Assuming everything is on local C: drive and I can map to the application and .ipt file in a normal windows install.

Basically, I'd like to throw something into a Foundry VTT web link, click it and watch the magic happen... even if that means opening a browser window to see the generator results, rather than having the results in the Foundry chat log or a foundry pop-up.

And I'm talking crazy easy. The mention of API and command line just immediately makes my head spin.

Thanks!

• You'd need a local web server running. That's not too complicated, as there's a number of "WAMP" (Windows - Apache - MySQL - PHP) installers out there that will set that all up. Once you have that, you can make a small PHP script to call the IPT command line program. That's how I have this set up (though on a Linux server, not on a local Windows machine):

ipp.nbos.com/
    (A basic D&D character generator)

The PHP script, in its entirety, is:

<?php

$html = shell_exec( "./ipad3cgi DnD.ipt -q");
    echo $html;

?>

• Thanks Ed! I'll probably shelf this and come back to it once I decide I'm brave enough set up an AWS to be my foundry server. I'm guessing the script can work on the AWS so long as I upload all my IPP program and generators to be local on that machine.

• It would be a great feature of the executable to be able to specify a table within a generator file. Right now, I have hundreds of files - one for each table I need to access. It would help with organization if I could combine related tables in a file and just call the specific table I need rather than the top-most table. If that could be added as a parameter, that would make this executable amazing.

• That's what the File->Export Table menu item does in the Windows program. It takes a generator that may be comprised of many files, and combines them into a single file table.

• Hi Ed, I appreciate that but does the executable give me the ability to call a specific table in the combined file? I'd love to be able to pass the table name to the executable and have it run not the entire generator but a sub-table from that generator. I hope that makes sense. If I'm missing something, please let me know.

• I don't know the purpose of reducing the number of files, but if you want to share tables between your different generators, you could put all the real content in a single file in \Common\ and then in your individual generators just put a "use" statement referencing that file, with a single one-line table that only calls the table you want.

If the command line supported prompts, you could start with a single prompt, then have a table that selects the table you actually want based on the prompt value. But I vaguely recall that you can't use prompts from the command line.

• Is there a way to download the executables again so that I can have a go at running them on a Raspberry Pi?

• They're located here now:
    https://www.nbos.com/nox/item/539
    But I think Pi's are ARM processors, so it may not run.

Leave a Comment