Sorry, Another Question (Importing other bodies)

Is it possible to import bodies via CSV other than white dwarves, stars, and multiple star systems? I can't seem to find this scripting API, and I already saw in another thread that there's basically no tutorial support for it (wherever it is). But being able to import large numbers of non-stellar bodies (markers, to be specific) would greatly ease a large project I'm working on.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. :)

Comments

• Are you familiar with XML at all? The XML importer script can import any body type. The main problem with CSV is that its not very good for hierarchical data (star -> planet -> moon parent/child relationships). The CSV import that's there was primarily made to import actual stellar catalogue data - basically stars and systems only.

XML Importer
    http://www.nbos.com/nox/index.php?action=1001&id=7

Use the XML exporter plugin (on the Plugins menu) to make a sample file to look at.
  • Are you familiar with XML at all?
    Sadly, no. My programming experience ended with QBASIC.

But, I'll give it a whirl. Thanks. :D
  • So, I tried fiddling with the importer with a friend of mine who does actually know something about XML (quite a lot). But it seems the importer only works on XMLs already exported by AstroSynth?

I'm just trying to find a way to quickly build a grid of markers on my sectors. Basically, I set up the X, Y, and Z coordinates with whatever interval the grid will have, and then plop that down on the map. I have some experience with the CSV importer, which is where I got the idea from in the first place and is the kind of functionality I'm looking for. I understand the CSV system has problems with hierarchies, but I'm not looking to do that. I'm just looking for a very specific function: easy and rapid creation of a marker grid. Since I have no idea how to code XML--and my friend is unfamiliar with AstroSynthesis

Also, I was looking at the 2D image export script stickied here. Would it be possible to modify that to work by making maps centered around markers instead of systems with a particular population cutoff? Ideally, I'd like to combine the two ideas--rapidly generate a grid, populate my map (obviously a much slower step... but can be done with the CSV), then export the images using the marker grid as a guide. But... well, again, that Alien API reference just went right over my head. :p

EDIT: Another idea I had--and I have no clue if this is possible--would be to use the CSV function to make a grid of, say, white dwarves. Then, use a plugin to convert all of the extant white dwarves (which would only exist on the grid) to markers. Then populate the map, and export with the modified mass 2D export script mentioned above. I tend to make big maps... but have a short attention span for doing the actual point-to-point gridwork. :p

Leave a Comment