Excel incompatibility driving me insane

I've been working on a set of character sheets for the Dragon Warriors RPG on and off for months. They are almost ready to go.

Except for one problem.

For reasons I cannot understand Character Sheet Designer cannot handle the CSV spreadsheets I am creating on my computer - with three separate spreadsheet programs at this point (MS Excel, Libre Office Calc, and SSuite Accel).

When I have sent one of these spreadsheets to a friend and had them open it and resave it on their computer and mail it back to me, it works perfectly - but this isn't really a workable solution when I'm dealing with multiple spreadsheets I have to edit.

I cannot work out what the problem is - when I look at the CSV files in a text editor, they look fine. Absolutely perfect.

I'm beginning to think the problem is that as I'm in Australia, and my PC is set up for Australian English, the CSV files may be saving with a character set that NBOS Character Sheet Designer isn't expecting - maybe the commas are different. That may sound crazy, it may be crazy, but at the moment, this seems so ridiculous I am looking at crazy possibilities because I am clutching at straws.

These sheets are intended for wide circulation among players of DW - I have some involvement with the new edition of the game and one comment we've had from players is that they expect a game nowadays to have an electronic way of creating characters and NBOS SDG looked like a good way of achieving this reasonably easily - but at the moment all the effort I've put into it seems wasted.

It's also preventing me from purchasing 'The Keep' which I was planning on using in my next campaign, because if I can't integrate the character sheets one of the big draws of using it is gone.

I asked in a post about three months ago:

"Is there any forum where this software is being actively discussed that anybody knows of? It seems like such a great idea and I'd love to make it work."

And I repeat that question. Frankly, at the moment, part of the reason why I am worried about buying the Keep is because of what seems to be a serious inability to find anywhere to get tech support for NBOS software.

I have uploaded a file at:

http://www.libraryofhiabuor.net/DWSheet09.rar

In that file, there are two character sheets and two CSV spreadsheets - two for a Knight, two for a Barbarian.

The Knight is working. The Barbarian is not. Basically, the lookups are not getting data from the CSV file for the Barbarian - but are getting them from the Knight file.

(There's also a font file in the rar simply because I've used a uncommon font for the sheet).

I'd appreciated any guidance. I am tearing my hair out.

Comments

Leave a Comment