Sewer section

edited April 2011 in Maps and Symbols
This is a small section of a 600ft X 800ft battle map of a sewer I made using techniques I pieced together with the FM8 help files and some awesome tips from MarkOliva (thanks Mark!). The technique most useful was Actions -> combine polygons -> subtract (to create cutouts that I could bevel and drop shadows). I did this twice. Once for the sewage in the brick floor and once more to make the sewer walls appear raised.

Another thing I learned was that you need to turn Map -> display quality-> special effects - high res or all the bevels look pixilated and ugly. you can work at low res and save at low res but when you want to print or display at high quality, you need to set it back to high res.

-Bill

Comments

• Berentain wrote:
    This is a small section of a 600ft X 800ft battle map of a sewer I made

Nice piece of work.
    The technique most useful was Actions -> combine polygons -> subtract (to create cutouts that I could bevel and drop shadows). I did this twice.

This operation is one of the great jewels that one can find in FM8.
    Another thing I learned was that you need to turn Map -> display quality-> special effects - high res or all the bevels look pixilated and ugly. you can work at low res and save at low res but when you want to print or display at high quality, you need to set it back to high res.

For good screen and print appearances, two settings are mandatory:

Map -> Display Quality -> Highest

and ...

Map -> Display Quality -> Special Effects - Medium Res

With the second setting, one might wonder why I recommend Special Effects - Medium Res instead of Special Effects - High Res.

We've found that the High Res setting gives special effects, particularly shadows, too sharp an edge to make them look real.

In any case, show us more of your work!

Leave a Comment