Memory problems/ saved sector problems

AstroSynthesis is giving me some troubles. I started having difficulty opening and saving a large sector I was working on, so I decided to work on a more stripped down sector, leaving out some extraneous detail I wasn't likely to ever refer to (out planets, moons around gas giants, whatever). Maybe I don't have enough ram to work in AS with really big sectors. I only have three GB.

SO I started a more stripped down map, but then, after saving a few hours work, I shut down. Today, I opened the sector up, and everything I had edited was deleted from the file.

Any idea what is going on here?

Comments

• I had a similar problem a while back. From what I could tell Astro 2 does NOT like punctuation or special characters. My problem was a colon in the Political Affiliation field that caused all of those systems to disappear when switching to them with a saved view. Removing the colon seems to have resolved the issue.

Hopefully Astro 3 will have a robust import function that will eliminate any similar problems.
  • I didn't use any unusual characters, but that is good to know.

I am looking forward to upgrading to AS 3.0! I still wonder why my files are not saving correctly, and what happened to an evening's work, but maybe the answer is to just use a different machine and see how that goes.
  • I seem to have the same problem. I just spent hours creating a sector of space, shut it down, left for a few. When i came back and tried to load it, it was completely blank.

I've read through the help sections and the pdf instructions that came with it, but i don't see any reason why the whole entire sector would be blank.

Maybe i need to take a step back and ask the following:

- How does one save a sector in AS 3.0?
    - How does one retrieve a sector map in AS 3.0?
    - Has anyone else had this issue?
  • If the file is there, and looks large such that its holding all the stars on the map, make sure they're not just hidden by the filters.
  • I've upgraded my RAM to 16GB and upgraded my software to AS 3.0. So far, everything seems to be working well in the new release, and I haven't had further memory issues.

I can say for certain that, in my own case, the problem I had earlier was not that the systems were filtered out. They were simply gone.
  • Ed_NBOS wrote:
    If the file is there, and looks large such that its holding all the stars on the map, make sure they're not just hidden by the filters.

Ed, that is actually part of my problem.

I'm not really sure what file size that i should be looking for, or what is a usual file size.

All the files, at least the ones i was able to save so far, apparently are only of the 150-320 kb size, which i would think isn't even close to large enough to hold the star and planet information that i generated. That makes me wonder why the file size is so small to begin with. When i open them up, then don't contain any of the changes i made, and in fact, don't even contain the original information either. I note that the 20 LY Local star cluster template is only 270 kb before anything is done to it.

Can i send you the file that i had tried to save and see if there is something i am doing wrong???

Thanks for your help.
  • Just a quick update, since i'm really struggling to figure out why this isn't saving, and i really don't feel like wasting more time making adjustments to my maps if they don't save the information.

Apparently, it does not make any difference where i save the file. I noted in another thread that the location of the save in Win 7 may make a difference for that program, and thought i would try it with Astro 3.0 as well.

I've taken the base "Local Star 20 LY" map, done a "save as" and made a copy to several different directories on my computer.

When i open the map up again, it is completely blank, as with previous saves.

If someone could lay out the exact procedure they use to save and load their files, maybe i can figure out if it is "operator headspace and timing" rather than the program itself.

Thanks for any help you all can provide.
  • If you make a new sector with 100 random systems (using default settings) and save it, it should be about a meg in size. Give that a shot rather than using the template. Let me know if that saves and loads ok.
  • I think its just a problem with templates. Make a copy of the template file (c:\program files\nbos\AstroSynthesis3\templates\Local Stars 20ly.AstroDB, copy it using Windows, NOT saving a copy with Astro) and copy it into some other directory. Then open that copy directly (ie, file->open), rather than as a template. That should do the trick.
  • Ed_NBOS wrote:
    I think its just a problem with templates. Make a copy of the template file (c:\program files\nbos\AstroSynthesis3\templates\Local Stars 20ly.AstroDB, copy it using Windows, NOT saving a copy with Astro) and copy it into some other directory. Then open that copy directly (ie, file->open), rather than as a template. That should do the trick.

Bingo, we have a winner!

Excellent advice and it worked the first time. I copied the template out of there and saved it in a separate file, opened it as a template, went back in and saved it as s slightly different file name and then closed out. When i restarted and opened up the file, all my changes were there.

Thanks so much for the help, i really appreciate it!

Leave a Comment