Question regarding AS 3.0 Multiple Star Systems

Is there any way to set a multiple system's component stars orbiting the combined center of gravity? I realize that the orbital periods are going to be very long, and the ability to map them within a multiple system is pretty cool as it is. I just wonder if I am missing something here; I'd like to be able to set them in motion, given this nifty calendar that is part of the program now.

For that matter, it would be cool to be able to assign motion to all stars, so that their position over time could be tracked. I realize that is not part of what this (excellent) program, does, though (I don't want to seem ungrateful!).

Comments

• Just thinking aloud, couldn't you set the center of gravity as a marker or something of that nature and then set each star to orbit around that?
  • Dammann wrote:
    Is there any way to set a multiple system's component stars orbiting the combined center of gravity?

No, Astro3 does not attempt to simulate movement in multiple body systems.
  • Garrett wrote:
    Just thinking aloud, couldn't you set the center of gravity as a marker or something of that nature and then set each star to orbit around that?
    I don't think you can set the mass for a marker. Good notion, though... maybe I can find some other stand-in for a center of mass.
  • Ed_NBOS wrote:
    No, Astro3 does not attempt to simulate movement in multiple body systems.
    Well it is a pretty dang fine program none the less. Thank you!
  • You know, I could make the center of mass a star with the appropriate mass, and zero luminosity and radius. If I want it to be invisible, I assign a small black square as a blazon. This shows as an invisible point in the larger map (and will be pretty tough to select with the cursor), but still appears to be a star in the orbital view.
  • Ah, it appears that in the sector viewing window, it appears as a small white dot until I select it.

I guess this works for me, unless anyone has a better suggestion.

Leave a Comment