AS3 and some bugs

First off let me say that as soon as I seen that AS3 was available for purchase I bought it pretty much immediately. AS2 has been an invaluable tool for working on my setting. Loving the new features especially the system preview in the preview box and being able to rotate around the views. However, I have run into a few bugs. Nothing that's a show stopper, but they are an annoyance.

The biggest bug I've run into is that when I loaded an AS2 sector into AS3 and saved as the new format and when I regenerate a new surface map, it does not save the new surface maps which makes AS3 rescan the surface every time I load up the sector. Yes I have unchecked "use this surface map instead of the default one" in the "Surface Map" tab. For me it also does this with new systems. I've also had AS3 hang and consume 400+MB RAM when generating maps for "planet system" types. The machine is mostly unresponsive at this time, even alt+ctrl+del takes a minute or so to register.

Another bug is when creating a new system and manually adding child bodies into it, sometimes AS will not show it in the "Show System Diagram". It has also done the reverse, where it will show the new child object's orbit and stuff in the Diagram but it will not be visible in the list of "Planets" until I save and reload AS3 or select another system then returning to the system being worked on.

Using Windows 7 home premium, running as Admin user, no UAC and running AS3 as administrator. 3GB RAM.

Comments

• MGCJerry wrote:
    The biggest bug I've run into is that when I loaded an AS2 sector into AS3 and saved as the new format and when I regenerate a new surface map, it does not save the new surface maps which makes AS3 rescan the surface every time I load up the sector.
    From what you describe, its doing what its supposed to be doing. When you click on a planet in the system data display, it generates a planet preview on the fly. It doesnt save that preview - there's no need to, it can recreate it at any time. So when you click on the same planet the next time the program is opened, it will re-generate it.

The only time the planet is saved is if you 'edit surface map' to launch FWE. Then the .fwe file that is created is saved in the .astrodb file.

If this isnt what you are talking about, please post a specific description of the steps you are taking to recreate the result.
    Another bug is when creating a new system and manually adding child bodies into it, sometimes AS will not show it in the "Show System Diagram". It has also done the reverse, where it will show the new child object's orbit and stuff in the Diagram but it will not be visible in the list of "Planets" until I save and reload AS3 or select another system then returning to the system being worked on.

I've not seen that behavior. But you may have to click on the system in the 3d display again in the map to refresh it.
  • Thanks for the reply Ed. I'm using a relatively low power laptop to work on my worlds, so I suppose if I use a faster machine surface map generation wont be as painful. I really like the idea about AS3 saving the .fwe file internal to the astrodb file. For my important worlds I usually save a .fwe file anyway.

I haven't been able to reproduce the other problem, and it has only happened once since posting and a few other things were going on so I'm going to blame the computer gods. 8-)

Leave a Comment