Traveller

This may be a question that has been asked before, but is there a way to input a Traveller-style sector map?

Comments

• This will sound odd, but why would you want to do that in Astrosynthesis? Traveller maps are two-dimensional - they don't have what would be a y-axis in AS. If you were to enter the sector data, you'd just get a flat sheet.
  • Because I would at least have some familarity with the sectors and use the Traveller material, which is considerable.
  • rwglaub wrote:
    Because I would at least have some familarity with the sectors and use the Traveller material, which is considerable.

Oh, I'm very familiar with Traveller, but what I'm asking is "would you be gaining by importing a flat sheet of stars into a program that can render that flat sheet in 3D"? You can't really transform the 'flat sheet' into a 3D model and give the stars +y or -y values (e.g. change the sheet into a sphere of stars) because that would completely change the distances between them.
  • rwglaub wrote:
    This may be a question that has been asked before, but is there a way to input a Traveller-style sector map?

In what way do you want to import a Traveller sector? Its not clear to me what you mean by 'input a Traveller-style sector map'. You can obviously manually place systems on the AstroSynthesis map with whatever name or info you want. Or input star positions in bulk by importing a csv or xml file. But beyond that, I dont know what else you'd be looking for.
  • I would like to run in the Spinward Marches, and I'm trying to figure out how to create the map so that I can retain the relative distances and travel times.
  • The only way you'd be able to do that is to calculate the X and Z coordinates of each system relative to an origin (Y = 0 since there's no height in 2D traveller maps), and then import them in as a csv.

Leave a Comment