Is there a way to close and open different campaigns?

edited March 2012 in The Keep General
I would really like to have seperate DBs for different campaigns. Is that possible? I really don't want my post apocolyptic stuff with my traveller stuff etc.

Comments

• See the 'Custom Database Paths' topic under 'Advanced Capabilities' in the help file. You'd setup separate shortcuts for different databases.
  • I would say that is a poor design choice. It is far far far from user friendly. I would rather have files I can open and close to accomplish that as that is intuitive and how people expect things to work. Forcing a user to make special shortcuts to accomplish that effectively eliminates that functionality from non advanced users and anyone who it did not occur to them that it would be under advanced uses or come here to find out.
  • Support for multiple databases was simply an option added for those who had particular needs for it. During testing we had people who were using it for their work information (as in their jobs) because it was so convenient, and they didnt want to have their gaming info included in that for obvious reasons. Support for multiple databases is not considered a primary feature.

The whole point of The Keep is to keep all your gaming information in a single database. There's no technical reason to have multiple databases. The Keep is a database driven program and can handle tons of information. There is no 'file -> open' like in a word processor because its simply not needed.

Keep in mind a Keep database is not just a single file - its the database file and all the stored maps, images, and other attachments. So if you are looking for document based system, thats just not going to occur with The Keep. The entire directory structure is the database. The system needs to maintain all that reliably.
  • Just nest other campaigns under different folders. They are also working on a tab feature that should help and prevent the need for multiple db.
  • That is exactly what I do not want to do. I want to keep each campaign I am running self contained and clean. i do not want to have a bunch of space on my smaller laptop screen taken up by things I do not need for the game I am playing. I want to be able to close and open different campaigns. What you are describing just sounds cludgy and clumsy.
  • Daeglan wrote:
    That is exactly what I do not want to do. I want to keep each campaign I am running self contained and clean. i do not want to have a bunch of space on my smaller laptop screen taken up by things I do not need for the game I am playing. I want to be able to close and open different campaigns. What you are describing just sounds cludgy and clumsy.

I think NBOS could easily add high-level tabs into the UI without taking up any screen space that would eliminate this need from a technical level as Ed describes...guess I have a different take...but I get your point. :)
  • On a technical level loading the 1 big database with all my campaigns is going to be slower and more memory intensive than keeping them all smaller. For me there is absolutely no advantage to having everything all my campaigns in one DB. In fact all I see are downsides. I do not want to have to wade through all my other campaigns. I can only run 1 campaign at a time so I only want to have 1 campaign at a time open.
  • Daeglan wrote:
    On a technical level loading the 1 big database with all my campaigns is going to be slower and more memory intensive than keeping them all smaller.

Nope, thats factually incorrect. The Keep does not load the entire database into memory when it opens it. It only loads the currently viewed topic. It doesnt matter if there are 10 or 10,000 topics... only one is loaded at a time.
  • JohnTaber wrote:
    I think NBOS could easily add high-level tabs into the UI without taking up any screen space that would eliminate this need from a technical level as Ed describes...guess I have a different take...but I get your point. :)

What I was thinking for the next version was allowing people to 'zoom in' to a particular topic so that it looks like the root topic. This way they hide other topics from view.
  • Ed_NBOS wrote:
    What I was thinking for the next version was allowing people to 'zoom in' to a particular topic so that it looks like the root topic. This way they hide other topics from view.

Interesting. I will have to think about that in relation to how I currently use The Keep. My gut reaction is that this would work fine. Might be nice to have quick keys to 'zoom in' and 'zoom out'. :)
  • OK I still do not want un related campaign material to be anywhere near the campaign I am currently running.

Leave a Comment