is there a way to delete duplicate systems?

edited March 2012 in AstroSynthesis General
I guess this is another thing that I'll need to make a plugin for, but is there a way to delete duplicate stars in AS3? These would be stars that have the exact same X, Y, and Z coordinates as eachother.

I know that when importing astroDB files there's an option to delete duplicates, but this is for *after* they're imported (via csv). In fact I'm wondering why there isn't an option to not import duplicates via csv if the option exists when importing astroDB files.

Comments

• EDG wrote:
    In fact I'm wondering why there isn't an option to not import duplicates via csv if the option exists when importing astroDB files.

Each body in an AstroDB has a unique identifier (the 'UABI', or 'Universal Astronomical Body Identifier'). When merging two AstroDB's, skipping duplicates means not importing systems that have a unique id that already exists on the map. That is a non-ambiguous comparison. In CSV's, no such unique id exists, and the concept of 'duplicates' isnt quite as hard and fast. Is it the same location? Same name? None of those are 'enforced' in Astro - its quite possible to have systems with the same name and same location. To Astro, those arent 'duplicates'.

Ultimately for csv, xml, or any other type of import, its up to the end user to filter their data first, and then import it into Astro.
  • Ed_NBOS wrote:
    EDG wrote:
    In fact I'm wondering why there isn't an option to not import duplicates via csv if the option exists when importing astroDB files.

Each body in an AstroDB has a unique identifier (the 'UABI', or 'Universal Astronomical Body Identifier'). When merging two AstroDB's, skipping duplicates means not importing systems that have a unique id that already exists on the map. That is a non-ambiguous comparison. In CSV's, no such unique id exists, and the concept of 'duplicates' isnt quite as hard and fast. Is it the same location? Same name? None of those are 'enforced' in Astro - its quite possible to have systems with the same name and same location. To Astro, those arent 'duplicates'.

I thought that the ID number that you give a system in the CSV is used to generate a UABI after it's imported though? Couldn't that be used to check for other instances of the unique ID? (heck, or just look for another star with the same normal ID number and use the same methodology for that as you do for UABIs)

Leave a Comment