Displaying Custom Fields

Is there a way to get a custom field to display in the System Data window? I've added a custom "Hyperlimit" field in the System Data Fields tab of the Edit Properties dialog. However, I cannot seem to get it to display, even though I've put data in it and I've also unchecked "Hide if zero or empty":

Is there something I'm missing?

Comments

• For what you want to do, you can just put in "Hyperlimit: 1234" as the display text. and leave the source blank.

The custom field source is for displaying fields that are set in scripts. I thought there was a way to edit those in the program itself, but I dont see it.
  • Does Hyperlimit appear on the Additional Fields tab? I have custom fields defined at the Sector Properties level, and that's where I set their values.
  • Ah, ok, thats right.

What you want to do is... do what you did and add the Hyperlimit item in sector properties. Set the display text to 'Hyperlimit' (or however you want it to be displayed). Set the data source to 'customfield'. Set the field source to 'hyperlimit'. The field source is the actual name of the custom field as used in the database and in scripts. The display text just shows the text to display for it. They can be the same thing, but dont have to be.

Then in the properties window for the star, under additional fields, you should see a 'hyperlimit' field that you can enter. That value will show up next to 'Hyperlimit:' in the system data display.
  • Great feature, by the way. I use it to define system properties for Stars Without Number, starting with the random sector generation in AS3, then turning to the SWN book.

Leave a Comment