The keep for ipad

edited September 2012 in The Keep General
I have the keep on my pc. Is there anyway I can transfer it to my iPad?

Comments

• Are you asking if The Keep can run on the iPad? No, its a Windows program.

If you want to export your data to a format you can use on your iPad, you can print it out as a pdf and copy it over. Or use the experimental build (see the link in another message in this forum) that supports exporting to ebooks that can be read on iPads.

If you are asking something else, you'll need to clarify.
  • No that's what I was asking thanks. I'm not the best when it comes to computers.
  • Ed_NBOS wrote:
    Are you asking if The Keep can run on the iPad? No, its a Windows program.

If you want to export your data to a format you can use on your iPad, you can print it out as a pdf and copy it over. Or use the experimental build (see the link in another message in this forum) that supports exporting to ebooks that can be read on iPads.

If you are asking something else, you'll need to clarify.

I have a registered copy of Acrobat and I was having issues printing it directly to PDF from The Keep. I'll try again and if I have issues I will log a bug.
  • I'm going to try the experimental thing in a few days.
  • i downloaded the new version and was able to get the file into an epub file but am having trouble with the amazon kindlegen. I downloaded it then I was able to get the black screen up but am not sure what to do after that. I input the c:\kindlegen\kindlegen and it says there will be directions after that but I can't get it to work. I tried to put in the file and the path as well as just the path and just the file but still nothing. Anyone know what to do then? I was able to get it to find the file but then it says it can't open it and asks me if I want it to find the file by searching online. Thanks.
  • Forget Kindlegen, use Calibre instead.

Steps:

Create the epub from The Keep.

You can use Sigil to edit it if you need to, you'll have to download Sigil.

Download Calibre. http://calibre-ebook.com/ Take the tutorial so you know how it works.

Add the epub to Calibre using the Add Books button, you can view it in Calibre, but most importantly you can click the Convert E-books button to convert it's format.

Choose mobi from the dropdown as the format you are copying to and convert the file.

Wait...be patient.

When completed you can view it in Calibre, the window at the left will list the various types mobi, epub etc., as categories. You can edit the meta information and add cover images if you don't have one.

Click on the Save to Disk button to save it to your pc or whatever. You can drag and drop the mobi file to the Kindle Pre-viewer and it will open and display the file in various simulations of the Kindle devices. You can also drag and drop an epub to the Kindle Pre-viewer and it will try to convert it to mobi on the fly using kindlegen for you so you don't have to use the command line. However, I found Calibre better at the conversion.

Let us know how it goes.

Greg
    :D
  • By the way, the Kindle Pre-viewer does a better job of displaying the mobi file than Calibre does so don't be disappointed if it looks a little funny in Calibre. The graphics and what-not are sharper in the Kindle Pre-viewer.
  • Thanks for all the info, I'll give it a try hopefully in the next few days and let you know how I made out, thanks again.
  • I seem to only be able to get some of my folders from the keep to publish as an epub. It seems like only pages that don't have sub pages can transfer to an epub. The pages I was able to turn into an epub I was able to send to my ipad using calibre. It was very easy thanks. So if anyone knows about being able to transfer everything instead of just pages without sub pages that would be great.
  • On a side note, I really would LOVE to get a version of the keep for a tablet, android or apple does not matter to me personally. I find myself thinking the netbook I use for prep on my way to work is too clumsy and cumbersome lately. And with tablets dropping in price and becoming more widespread would it not make sense to "jump on the wagon" ? To be able to share between PC and Tablet would be helpful of course. Is there any chance this may happen?
  • Something akin to The Keep is possible. But something that matched feature-for-feature The Keep... I dont think that would be feasable.

Leave a Comment