The keep vs Realm works

edited January 2014 in The Keep General
Realm Works will hit the market very soon.

Therefore, I'm still wondering : which one to use? RW is new, and Lonewolf is very active. The Keep has been one the market for years now, and the last (small) update is more than one year ago.

There are pros and cons for both of them (not looking at the price).

I used The Keep demo for a while too test and it is very nice. But some features are really missing in order to make it perfect (for my needs). And RW has them. But the Lone wolf character sheets is crappy if you are not playing the game THEY want.

has any of you some experience / feelings /ideas/... about this. Is NBOS planning to upgrade The Keep anytime soon?

Comments

• The Keep v2 is the next planned commercial windows product on tap, but I dont have an eta.
  • Ed Thank you for being honest and just saying you don't know an eta rather than setting an ETA and then constantly pushing it back.
  • I backed Realm Works at the Early Access level so have been playing with the Private Beta for a month or so now. I love The Keep. For years it has been my constant ally at the gaming table and it is good at what it does. Sure, there could be improvements here and there but there are no deal breakers. However, Realm Works has raised the bar and it'll be interesting to see where Ed takes The Keep 2 :)
  • Was going to buy realm works but now not so much its bells and whistles while nice are not nessacary and even counter intiuitive considering the VTT i use Maptools handles Fog of war already
  • eponette wrote:
    Realm Works will hit the market very soon.

Therefore, I'm still wondering : which one to use? RW is new, and Lonewolf is very active. The Keep has been one the market for years now, and the last (small) update is more than one year ago.

There are pros and cons for both of them (not looking at the price).

I used The Keep demo for a while too test and it is very nice. But some features are really missing in order to make it perfect (for my needs). And RW has them. But the Lone wolf character sheets is crappy if you are not playing the game THEY want.

has any of you some experience / feelings /ideas/... about this. Is NBOS planning to upgrade The Keep anytime soon?

Just so you know... The "Crappy" Character sheet you are referring to with Hero Lab is no longer true if you use one of the third party character sheets out there.. of which there are several of. Not to mention. Realm Works is designed as a Generic campaign manager and not one that "They " want and or need you to play.

Just an FYI. HL has had character sheets that look like the normal character Pathfinder and such Character sheets for a while now. If you want another type of character sheet for your Generic Setting then you might want to create it yourself which is possible if YOU want to do so. It is not that difficult to do, especially if you are not happy with the one that Hero Lab provides.
  • To add my 0.2:

I've been using the early access version of RealmWorks for awhile now, and really like it. But, I think there is room for both in the admittedly narrow market of RPG GM management tools:

-- The Keep provides a ton of useful functionality for a modest, one-time price (I think this is pretty key).
    -- It's portable (I've been running it from Dropbox and USB drives for years)
    -- It doesn't require a ton of computer to run (been running it on a circa 2009 netbook with ease)
    -- The character sheet builder is easy to use and the integration with the Keep is slick

Leave a Comment