Cities?

Hiya,

I'm enjoying using Fractal Mapper. I have the world I was looking for, and it's really good for villages as well as individual buildings.

But I want to draw a city. It does not need to be super detailed - it's really at the district level to help players navigate around, as well as to superimpose data on - I run an Albedo campaign, and some of them are interested in cyberwar. (It's complicated)

Anyhow, I'm looking for some guidance at how to use FM8 at this sort of 'operational level', and I'd love to hear from anyone who can help.

Regards,

Mike

Comments

• I don't know if our group can help you or not, but I don't really know what you're seeking. Perhaps you could tell us mor specifically what you want to know.
  • Ok - let me try to explain.

I have the world map sorted out, and on one of the continents there are two major cities.

I now want to draw maps of these cities. First question:

Do I zoom in on the world map and put all the city elements on that map, or start a new map, and use an image of the locality as the background image?

Second question:

Most of the map elements included with FM8 - and the downloadable ones I have found are for individual buildings. Do I need to draw the whole city building by building, or is there a way of putting in a lot of random buildings (viewed from above) that I'm missing?

Is that clearer?

Mike
  • sp762 wrote:
    Do I zoom in on the world map and put all the city elements on that map, or start a new map, and use an image of the locality as the background image?

It's usually best to put city elements on separate maps. In the world map, you then can add links to these locations to open the local map.
    Most of the map elements included with FM8 - and the downloadable ones I have found are for individual buildings. Do I need to draw the whole city building by building, or is there a way of putting in a lot of random buildings (viewed from above) that I'm missing?

The basic answer is no. However, if you're going to do a lot of this kind of city building, I'd suggest making a series of city block presets that you can pop down in any map. How you do that is described in the raster mapping tutorial.

Leave a Comment