A Specific Map Won't Load

Hi everyone, I'm having an issue with fractal mapper 8 that I hope you can help me with. I have one specific .fmp file that, when I double click it, it won't open the map. I can see fractal mapper running in my task manager, but the program itself never opens to the map. If I try to open the file a second time, it says "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process." but again, nothing happens. I can open other maps just fine, so i can only assume that the problem is with that one particular file. I put a lot of time and effort into that map, and I would be really disappointed to lose all that. Can anyone recommend a solution? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Click the menu options Help and About and check the version number. Current is Version 8.10f. If you have a lower version, update. This problem occurred with large maps in early releases of FM8, but it's been fixed.

If you have the current version and the problem, contact support2@nbos.com.
  • Problem solved, thanks so much for your help!
  • I am having the same problem exactly but I already have 8.10f... any other suggestions? Also, the same thing happened with another large map a few months ago. I just clicked on it today and it opened. Is the only solution waiting?
  • TimP wrote:
    I am having the same problem exactly but I already have 8.10f... any other suggestions? Also, the same thing happened with another large map a few months ago. I just clicked on it today and it opened. Is the only solution waiting?

This sounds like it could be a problem with system resources rather than FM8. Perhaps you have more things running in the background than your system can handle, and there sometimes isn't enough memory available to open your large map. Since version 8.10f was released, I've never had a problem with large maps. The file size of my maps goes up to 135 MB. My computer has 8 GB memory, but because FM8 is a 32-Bit program, it can use only less than 4 GB of the total.

If your problem has another cause, then I think you should contact Support at:

support2@nbos.com

Leave a Comment