Wish List

So, I've been playing around with Character Sheet Designer for a campaign I'm running based on a heavily houseruled version of TriStat dX. It really is a pretty neat program, but it also has its fair share of issues, idiosyncracies, and limitations. As such, I'm putting together a wish list for the next version -- what I'd like to see in future updates.

If anyone else wants -- feel free to chime in. With any luck, NBOS's developers will look in and take this to heart. If even half of these are added, CS Designer will be a far, far better, more robust program.

(1) The ability use click and drag to reorder items, pages, and the like. As is, editing my sheets often mess up the tab order of the project in the viewer for keyboard navigation/ Predictably, this can make expanding and/or editing my projects a pain in the posterior.

(Edit: Figured out how to reorder pages, at least.)

(2) Related, better keyboard navigation in the viewer, particularly in relation to selecting items from drop-down lists.

(3) A way to disable the automatic alphabetization of the items in data stores (particularly when they're used to populate a drop-down list). Not only can this be annoying, but it causes problems if I've done the sorting myself -- according to, say, category. My skills data-store, for instance, is headed with an entry for "none", and keeps non-combat skills before the combat skills (in two, separate, alphabetized lists).

(4) Some way to properly copy/paste code so that I can move code from one project to another, simply edit the lines for repeated operations rather than typing them anew each time I have the operation done. Also, so that I can post code directly here instead of having to use screenshot-based workarounds (as below).

(5) Some way to do spreadsheet-style operations such as summing multiple sources (possibly according to a naming convention) so that I don't have to do, say, this:

Code_Sample.jpg

I do recognize that Character Sheet Designer isn't intended as a full IDE and that things like For and Do/While loops weren't included deliberately, but having to type all of that, over and over again, was just frustrating.

Also, I should repeat (4), as the inability to just copy/paste my code here to help explain the issue was genuinely annoying.

(6) Some sort of search and replace in the scripting window. Renaming variables and the like can be a major annoyance as-is.

In conclusion: Yes, this is a pretty cool program. It could easily be better, though, and hopefully this is going to help the devs figure out the best place to start.

Anyone have anything else to add?

Comments

• Aleh wrote:
    (4) Some way to properly copy/paste code so that I can move code
    So far, I've noticed little things I don't like but can EASILY ignore. I love LOVE LOVE this program! The only thing I cannot forgive is the lack of copy/paste functionality in the script tab. It would make my time spent working on my character sheet, and future projects, so much less tedious. I find it horrifying copy/paste doesn't work there. Horrifying.

That's at the top of my very short list of things I'd like fixed. I'd love that little quirk corrected. ^_^
  • So far, I've noticed little things I don't like but can EASILY ignore. I love LOVE LOVE this program! The only thing I cannot forgive is the lack of copy/paste functionality in the script tab. It would make my time spent working on my character sheet, and future projects, so much less tedious. I find it horrifying copy/paste doesn't work there. Horrifying.

That's at the top of my very short list of things I'd like fixed. I'd love that little quirk corrected. ^_^

That's the big one, yes. It also makes posting code here (for debugging or demonstration or the like) a lot more difficult than it should be.

The lack of search/replace is a close second, though.

That said, documenting the assorted annoyances (including the ones you can easily ignore) is the whole point of a list like this.
  • Aleh wrote:
    The lack of search/replace is a close second, though.
    I know it's the point, I was just showing support for what I feel would be a simple change that could make a world of difference. It could even be a temporary fix/workaround for the problem quoted above, and many others, I'm sure. Copy the code, paste into a text editor(or anywhere you prefer), and find/replace there.

My life in regard to creating and modifying my character sheet would be so much less stressful if I could copy/paste.

If I notice anything else that could use some refinement from a novice's perspective, I'll bring it here. I have come to love this program from just a few days of use. I place to purchase The Keep in support of the developers, and my players will turn to putty when they find how simple it will be to roll and update characters now. <3

Leave a Comment