Newb question about mountain scaling

Hi all,

Please forgive my newbness. I just bought Fractal Mapper 8 yesterday. I bought it after watching the tutorials and because it seems a whole lot simpler than Campaign Cartographer, which was giving me all kinds of headaches.

Anyway, I'm creating a map of my fantasy world for D&D and I've got a big map with lot of water and a continent.
I am stuck on a couple of things:

First, I'm trying to place a mountain range. I've set up a Random Set with 3 different mountains in it and I am using the Random Symbol Fill tool. So I can draw a line on the map and it fills it up with some mountains. But I'm having some problems getting what I want.

First, the mountains it's creating are HUGE! And I can't figure out how to set them to scale properly or how to control the scale at all.
Second, it doesn't appear to be using all three mountains in the set, just the same mountain over and over. I must be doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what.

On a separate note, my entire continent is currently green (grassland), but I would like to make some parts of it beige to indicate plains and maybe some other parts yellow for desert, but I can't seem to find any way to simply paint part of a land mass with a color. Is that possible?

Thanks. :)

Comments

• I can't see exactly what you've done, so I can only give you tips on how to fix some of the results.
    SheckyS wrote:
    First, the mountains it's creating are HUGE! And I can't figure out how to set them to scale properly or how to control the scale at all.

After you've placed the mountain on the map, mark them, use Ctrl+Q and reduce the scale size in the dialog box that opens.
    On a separate note, my entire continent is currently green (grassland), but I would like to make some parts of it beige to indicate plains and maybe some other parts yellow for desert, but I can't seem to find any way to simply paint part of a land mass with a color. Is that possible?

Set things to the color you want and draw the new areas with the Fractal Polygon tool.
  • Thanks.
    I know these seem like really simple questions, but I just couldn't figure out the scaling thing. Turns out the scaling of objects is dependent on the zoom level at the time you place them. This was driving me nuts. I have a bunch of mountains and if I want to place some more in the same area, I have to get the zoom level the same as it was originally, or else the new mountains come out at completely different sizes.

For the terrain, Fractal Polygon doesn't seem like a good way to go, because I would have to trace the existing coastline perfectly. So what I ended up doing was drawing a couple of fractal lines from coast to coast so it form an enclosed area, then I used the fill tool to fill in the area with a color.

Leave a Comment