Action> Create Symbol?

edited April 2016 in Fractal Mapper General
In Actions menu there is an option to 'Create a symbol', i looked at the built in Help manual and it didn't really clear up what it does exactly. I know i can create my own symbols in a paint program and import it etc, i have done that. But what i want to do is using the Road tool is create an intersection and then save it inside the Mapper as a symbol so i can use it in the future with it being added to a Symbol set and named. But when i highlight the created intersection and click on Create Symbol all it does is make the intersection smaller, if the intersection segments are locked- then it disappears when clicking on Create Symbol. I was expecting a pop-up asking which set to save it in, like you sort of have for selecting a symbol to be added to the Random set.

So how does Create Symbol work and is possible to create custom road symbols like i was trying to do? being able to so would save a lot of time if you were trying to do roundabouts, traffic intersections and maybe road/bridges etc all set to scale for re-use anytime.

Thanks.

Comments

• I have a hard time figuring out what you don't understand here. The FM8 Guide seems to state it quite clearly and completely:

"Creating a Mapping Symbol

"To create a mapping symbol from one or more objects on your map, first select the objects. Then select Actions-Create Symbol from the main menu. The objects will be merged together into a single mapping symbol object on your map.

"When a symbol is created, it is saved with your map. But, it is not saved to file as an individual symbol that can be selected in the mapping symbol gallery. To save the symbol as it's own file, select Actions-Export Symbol from the menu. You will then be prompted for
    the name of the mapping symbol file to create."

That's exactly what it does.
    Daza wrote:
    when i highlight the created intersection and click on Create Symbol all it does is make the intersection smaller,

... and adds it as a new, temporary symbol in the current drawing only under "Symbol Set: On Map."
    I was expecting a pop-up asking which set to save it in, like you sort of have for selecting a symbol to be added to the Random set.

Then you have to select your new symbol in the current drawing and use Actions/Export Symbol to save it permanently.

PLEASE NOTE: These options are designed for vector symbols only. If you make symbols with raster (bitmap) content and use these options, they will turn the new symbol into a vector symbol (.fmp). As such, the symbol will not always produce the desired quality. If you want to make raster symbols, it's best to use an external program and save the new symbols as PNGs (or, if there is no transparent alpha symbol content as JPGs).

Leave a Comment