the Keep lost my pdf reader.

My installation of the keep does not see adobe any longer. I reinstalled the adobe reader and the keep still errors saying that I don't have a pdf reader installed... any suggestions here?

Comments

• edited September 2016

You might try installing an older version of Adobe Reader, in case an update to it caused a problem. I'd try 10 or 11. I'll take a look at it though to see if the latest Adobe Viewer is compatible or not.

• My installation of the keep does not see adobe any longer. I reinstalled the adobe reader and the keep still errors saying that I don't have a pdf reader installed... any suggestions here?

• edited January 2017

The problem is actually the latest Adobe Reader, which changed the way it embeds, not The Keep.

But there's a fix for this. Switch to the beta update channel and download the latest update of The Keep. This latest update has a built-in PDF viewer that does not require the Adobe Reader at all.

To do this, use File->Program Preferences from the menu. Go to the Backup and Updates tab. Switch the Update Channel (bottom of the window) to "beta". Press Ok, and then check for updates using Help -> Check for Updates from the menu.

• Hi - new user. I have the same issue. The PDF reader worked for a moment then couldn't be found. I Installed the BETA, but it does not view form fill PDFs. I printed the PDFs into flat PDFs and it worked fine. Not sure if you can add support for that in the future (or simply render form fills as flat PDFs...). Also wanted to post in case anyone else tried to link a form fill PDF. :-)

• I have full adobe acrobat pro installed but I noted that the keep only uses the acrobat reader. Is this intended Ed? Is there an .ini that can be edited to direct a specific program to read my .pdfs like the pro or even Foxit? If not what would it take to make one? Perhaps a plug in where each user can pick a program to run a specific file type....

• edited September 2017

Yes, it used Reader specifically.

To embed a viewer within The Keep, the hosted application (like Adobe Reader) needs to be specifically designed to allow it, and The Keep has to have the code on its end to interface with it. Adobe changed how Reader can be embedded (or possibly removed the capability). That is why The Keep (see above) now uses its own PDF viewer based on PDFium (the one used by Chrome).

So a plugin or ini setting isn't going help. The target program must be designed to allow embedding, and The Keep must be coded to interface with it.

• I found adobe acrobat 8.1 on disc at a garage sale. I installed this alongside acrobat 11 pro and now the keep works (uses 8.1) but works.... now to find a way to change background color on the keep.

Leave a Comment