Fractal Mapper 9 Comment

Ed's announcement about FM9 is great ... particularly that it will be available as a 64-bit application. That's been my one great complaint about cartographic software. 64-bit processors and the larger memories available to 64-bit systems have been the industry standard for a long time. But no important manufacturer of cartographic software has been able to find the way into the 21st century yet. When I buy a computer with a 64-bit processor and 16, 32 and 64 GB of memory, I think It's reasonable in this day and age to want to be able to use that memory.

Unfortunately, ProFantasy and Battlemap Games have made it clear that CC and MapForge won't be making the same journey for a long time. I have all of these products, but fortunately, for me, FM is the one that I use. So I'm quite eager to see FM9 arrive.

Comments

• edited March 2018

:) :) :) for FM9!

Hope to see an update where floating the cursor over a symbol on the symbol palette will display its file name. I normally need to leave File Explorer up on one monitor to see file names (which usually contain helpful descriptive & size info about the symbol).

• Mark, I thought you'd like that :smile: When its ready, I'll let you have a go with it to try it out with some of your bigger maps.

Levendor, that's a good idea... I'll take a look at doing that.

• @Levendor: Great suggestion. I too regularly have to use the Windows Explorer to pick symbols.

• Can there be a way to set specific values for the various FX values (i.e. Fill Style Scale & Brightness; Bevel Width, Light & Angle; Shadow Size, Offset & Angle; Texture Intensity & Scale; as well as Blur Width)? That way one can make sure that these settings are consistant amongst similar map items.

Nightblade ->--

• @Nightblade You can do that with the Effects Styles. Its the section right above the Fill Style box on the right. Make sure you are running the most up to date version of the mapper, as Effects Styles weren't in the initial release of v8.

• edited August 2019

Unless I've completely missed something I'd love to see a freehand draw tool, useful for tweaking coastlines etc.

Update: Fractal freehand looks like it'll do what I want :)

Leave a Comment