Quick % best practice, and repetition lookup picks

I love IPP3. I idn't see a donate button to I bought FM8 to try and support NBOS.

Is there a way to call repetition picks for dictionary and lookup tables that specify a value? [#3 5 myTable], to call myTable line 3 five times, for example? I'm not stuck with anything, but shorthand functionality would be quite useful at times (as would a quick "{if({d100}<5,a,b)} )

Comments

• If you called a lookup table five times, wouldn't it give you the same value each time? I guess it wouldn't if it in turn contained table calls or inline tables. Maybe the way to do that would be by passing a parameter with the number of calls so that the lookup table knows how many to generate? E.g.

[@mylookuptable with 3]

For your second question, you can use

{if( 3d6 = 18, 4, 0)}

It's treated as a mathematical operator, so your true and false terms have to be values, it might not work to have them be table calls etc. For that sort of thing, I think you need When.

• Right, it's in combination with inline lookups. Basically, a 1e treasure table. You call the dictionary table with the letter value and selects line. If you wants three 'B' values then ... you call it three times.

Yeah, I'm already using an if ... EIGHT if's per line. I guess I could abstract it to another table.

5% chance of d6 gold is ...
    [@myAbstractedTable with 5,6]

Table: myAbstractedTable
    {if({1d100}<={$1},'{1d{$2}','0')}
    EndTable:

• I often make multiple tables rather than relying on passing parameters. Supposing you put the treasure type (e.g. "B") in a variable {$TreasureType}, rather than using a lookup for the type, you could call a table [@TreasureTable{$TreasureType}].

So then instead of a table:

Table: TreasureTable
    Type: Dictionary
    A:treasure fit for a king with lots of additional lookups and references
    B:treasure fit for a soldier with lots of additional lookups and references
    C:treasure fit for a beggar with lots of additional lookups and references

You would have:

Table: TreasureTableA
    treasure fit for a king with lots of additional lookups and references

Table: TreasureTableB
    treasure fit for a soldier with lots of additional lookups and references

Table: TreasureTableC
    treasure fit for a beggar with lots of additional lookups and references

Because those tables aren't dictionary tables, it might be easier to make multiple calls to them. Also, if each of those treasures had a bunch of conditional statements or random picks, you might be able to split them out to multiple table entries.

It's also easy to have as many parameters as you want this way. The call could just as easily be [@TreasureTable{$TreasureType}{$Quantity}{$Region}]. Then you make however many subtables you need for the different possibilities.

• Hey jdale, I'm considering stealing this and using it for an attempt at the treasure gen. Having treasure for different classes is interesting and I want to give it a go.

• Everything is posted to be used! I'm happy if it's helpful. And even happier if you share what you create. :)

I don't know anything about the treasure generation system in D&D so I can't offer much there myself.

Leave a Comment