I need help figuring out how to have two prompts working for my Naruto Fanon Version of the Pelt Gen

this is what I have so far and I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I looked at a few other gens making use of prompt but really, I have no idea what is wrong.

And instead of just fixing it can someone tell me how to do this?

Prompt: Found {Common|Uncommon|Rare} Common
Prompt: Number {1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20} 1

Table: Main
[@{{2d3}+({1d4}*{$prompt2})} DieRoll]\n&

Table: DieRoll
Type: Dictionary
Common:[Roll=={2d6}] [{$prompt1}], Common: [#{Roll} {$prompt1}]

Comments

• I think you are trying to look up Common, Uncommon, or Rare on Table DieRoll, which is why you have picked a Dictionary table. But you're calling that table with a numeric value. If you want to look up the value of prompt1 on that table, you would use:

[#{$prompt1} DieRoll]

I'm not sure you can call a table specifying that it should return multiple results AND send it the lookup value. Often there would be no point of looking up the same thing each time. Personally, instead of using a dictionary table, I would just have separate tables for common, uncommon, and rare, and call the appropriate one based on the prompt:

Prompt: Found {Common|Uncommon|Rare} Common
    Prompt: Number {1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20} 1

[@{{2d3}+({1d4}*{$prompt2})} {$prompt1}]

Table: Common
    Common1\n
    Common2\n
    Common3\n

Table: Uncommon
    Uncommon1\n
    Uncommon2\n
    Uncommon3\n

Note I took the \n out of your Main table, where it is only going to happen once at the end, and put it after each lookup entry. You wouldn't need that if you want to create a comma-separated list, etc.

Also, you ended a line with & which is the character that means it's not actually the end of a line, attach the next line to it as well. That's not needed, you would generally only use & if the line is so long you can't see what going on.

Although in this case, the tables have the same names as the prompt, if you wanted them to be more clear, you could add text. For example:

[@{{2d3}+({1d4}*{$prompt2})} {$prompt1}Items]

Table: CommonItems
    Common1\n
    Common2\n
    Common3\n

Table: UncommonItems
    Uncommon1\n
    Uncommon2\n
    Uncommon3\n

That can be helpful if you need to lookup multiple sorts of things based on that prompt.

• I appreciate the help. I managed to figure out what I was doing wrong thanks to reading through this. I'll post my new version on the Gens page.

Leave a Comment