Designing World Maps

I need help!

I am looking for a map-making program (or, if necessary, a combination of programs) with certain properties, but I'm a bit lost among the different types of programs and their feature lists. I hope someone in this community can help me out, since Fractal Mapper SEEMS to be close to what I want, but then again, I cannot verify that it does what I want from my understanding of its available description.

My general goal: Creating an earthlike world from scratch by working from small scale maps towards large scale maps

What I want:

-draw a global master map showing the outline of land masses. Being able to add additional details in this step (relief, climate etc...) or to apply fractal world-building algorithms would be welcome, but the most important thing ist that I keep complete control over all features of this world.

As unbelievable as this sounds to me, that seems to be the crucial problem: It appears that neither Fractal Terrains Pro, nor Fractal World Expolorer, nor AstroSynthesis give me complete control of my creation! I was extremely shocked, for example, when I read: "You can not draw lines in FTP... It's a world-building program, not a map-making tool". The descriptions of the other two programs avoid mentioning the possibility of actually DRAWING continental contours, which is crucial.

- have the option to draw this master map not on a flat surface, but on a 3D-view of the world. (I believe this is called a true perspective projection.) I'm looking for the functionality to draw onto the surface of a virtual globe. Obviously that would require the ability to freely rotate that globe while drawing on it or looking at it.

As far as I understand, this kind of view and the ability to rotate it is part of all three of the aforementioned programs; however, I'm not sure I can use editing options with that view.

- alternatively, I would be content to draw on azimuthal projections of parts of the globe, if the software is capable of dividing the global map into submaps and rejoining the editing submaps to that master map which then can be viewed as described above.

I feel the ability to handle different projections of maps is CRUCIAL when designing a world map. But it seems FTP is the only program available for less than 300 euros with this feature - and it doesn't allow me to draw my own maps - or does it?

- it's not too much of a problem, if the software creating the master map and its submaps does not allow for too much detail, as long as I can export these submaps to a map-making program which allows me to use these submaps as a basis for more detailled maps, which I can create and edit using vector graphics. However, these submaps must either be large scale enough that distortion due to changing from an azimuthal projection to a simple rectangular map is negligible, or (much preferred!) there is an option to transform the map - either before or after exporting - from one projection type to another.

I know that FTP exports to Campaign Cartographer 3, which isn't the most professional program, but sufficient, and with a lot of destracting, but nice extras. If I understand correctly, FTP, FWE and AS all export to Fractal Mapper, which seems to be just a little less stuffed with bonus gamer features than CC3, but also a little more professional, and makes a good impression to me. I also believe that all three worldgenerating programs SHOULD be able to export to a "serious" mapmaking program (like map maker gratis) using vector data, but I haven't found convincing evidence that this is actually the case. Exporting bitmap data will probably not be an issue (or will it?), but I'd like to avoid having to overpaint bitmaps, if there is an alternative. (I'd also much like to be able to create maps using longitudinal and latitudinal data, but that may be too much to ask from nonprofessional software.)

Did I miss anything? Is it possible to draw and view a global map using azimuthal projections and then refine its details using submaps which a mapmaking program can handle?

I would be willing to purchase, for example, a combination of FTP and CC3; or a combination of AS, FM and FE (yes, I know that comes free with the others), and I'm also willing to work with Map Maker gratis, although I admit I'd prefer the comfort of a program customized for gamer needs, like CC3 or FM. However, I do not wish to purchase Map Maker Pro or OCAD, which - as professional mapmaking programs - are certainly able to handle different projections, but come at an absurd cost (at least for a non-professional).

(Oh, and I need all software to work with Windows 7, but since this isn't Vista, I'm cautioniously optimistic here.)

Is there a solution?

Comments

• With this program you can take FWE generated maps and have them re-generated into FM8 maps, and then alter them within FM8. The usual method is create your world map, then sub-map it by selecting areas on the globe and refining them.

As you create sub-maps, you are allowed to take along the layers of symbols (citymarkers, tree/mountain sprites) along with it.

So you might want to do some markers, text and symbols on the global map, then submap a region and refine that new submap with more details... then submap the submap...
    Its a little harder to work in reverse.

You can edit FWE's through FWE... however the control is a lot easier when you have the world exported into FM8.

As I suggested on my other recent thread, perhaps the community needs to create some video mapping tutorials and host them on youtube. I think I'll start that today. (if I can tweak the capture not to interfere with my penmanship)

Tho I'm not an expert, and I still come across some situations that stump me for a bit, I manage to eventually figure thing out or create a work-around.
    FM is actually a very easy program if you compare it to CC.
    You just need to understand the layers and how to use them effectively, and everything else is fairly easy.

If you are looking for something that can generate a world, and then you can detail that world deeper and deeper, then FM8 is the critter you are looking for.

The styles of maps is up to the creator, you can make a wide variety. You don't even need to stick with the sets of symbols with FM, you can make your own vectors, on the fly in FM... or create them in your favorite image editor and use them instead.

I'll post a procedure thread from FWE generated World to Submaps a little later.
  • I have a great inclination to try to give you some help here, but it sounds to me like you're trying to find the egg-laying, woolly milk sow, as we say here in Bavaria. I think that this animal is as rare in the cartographic world as it is in the real world, whatever and wherever that is.
  • Richard wrote:
    Tho I'm not an expert, and I still come across some situations that stump me for a bit, I manage to eventually figure thing out or create a work-around. FM is actually a very easy program if you compare it to CC.

In a lot of respects, FM8 not only is easier than CC3 but also more powerful. The incredible power packed into the ability to make raster presets is a prime example.
    Richard wrote:
    The styles of maps is up to the creator, you can make a wide variety. You don't even need to stick with the sets of symbols with FM, you can make your own vectors, on the fly in FM... or create them in your favorite image editor and use them instead.

That's all well and good, but why the emphasis on vector? Vector graphics are 1990s state of the art. The real RPG world has been using raster graphics for the last 10 years. Ten years out of date is really out of date. Why be out of date with FM8? There's no program around that can make raster maps better or easier and faster than FM8. Why not move into the 21st century? It's been here for a decade already!
  • MarkOliva wrote:
    That's all well and good, but why the emphasis on vector? Vector graphics are 1990s state of the art. The real RPG world has been using raster graphics for the last 10 years. Ten years out of date is really out of date. Why be out of date with FM8? There's no program around that can make raster maps better or easier and faster than FM8. Why not move into the 21st century? It's been here for a decade already!

Well, its not a preference of mine or anything, however...
    Just pointing out you can make vector symbols in FM, besides if you zoom into your map vector wont pixilate.
    This is a factor to consider in maps with submaps.

I do a ton of art in Vector so I guess I'm used to using it, I wouldn't consider it out of date tho, a good 80% of my art career involves vector images... mostly in 2D animation, logos and flash graphics.
  • MarkOliva wrote:
    I have a great inclination to try to give you some help here, but it sounds to me like you're trying to find the egg-laying, woolly milk sow, as we say here in Bavaria. I think that this animal is as rare in the cartographic world as it is in the real world, whatever and wherever that is.

A pity that you didn't give in to that inclination!

You see, I really don't think I'm looking for the "eierlegende Wollmilchsau", but for basic functionality that I'd expect in every program that is designed to help me mapping a world of my own design: If I design a world, I will want small scale maps and large scale maps. Für small scale maps, I obviously want an option to at least view them in true perspective projection (which is obviously not hard to do at all, since several different programs offer this functionality). Then I want to fill in detail by dividing this map into submaps. What could be more natural when you design a world?

I just don't understand why FTP and FWE do not allow me to simply draw my own continental contours! Maybe I lack the typical gamer mentality (although I DO a lot of gaming), but why would I want ONLY automatically generated maps? I understand the usefulness of such an option, but am I the only one who actually wants to design a world by himself?

Richard: you mentioned that it would be possible to edit FWE generated worlds in FWE. Could you elaborate? You mention that it would be easier to edit a world map after exporting it to FM, but if FM isn't able to produce a view of a globe with that map, that's not too helpful. Or did I get that wrong, and I can use the FWE viewing options anytime with my FM world maps? If that is the case, I can work with that (although I'll still dearly miss the option to work with azimuthal projections). If, however, I'd have to re-export my map after every edit to FWE to see if I got it right (and cylindrical projections are practically useless when you need to see how landmasses relate to each other near the poles), that would be incredibly annoying.

Also, I'm not clear about how these FM "world maps" actually work. Which projection exactly do they use - mercator? Can you scroll / rotate them, so that they focus on different
    latitudes and longitudes (and do they give you the option to display the latitudal/longitudinal grid)? If not - how will you be able to create submaps of it which are not distorted in relation to each other? If world maps use mercator projections, I really expect at the very least to be able to switch between mercator and transverse mercator to give me a choice which regions I can see without (much) distortion.

I've never seen an atlas that does not use azimuthal projections for the polar regions at least. Is it really so surprising that I expect a map-making program to support such views as well?
  • Sure, here is an example:
    I generated this random terrain.

Notice the ridge that the fractal generated, yes, I hate them too.
    Use the tools on the left side to modify your map...

Make sure the proper Icon is selected otherwise precipitation or temperature may be selected instead.
    Use you mouse or tablet... (or nifty expensive Cintiq in my case) to brush out the landmass...yes you can build an manipulate landmasses, you can even create a blank map of water and build up your land with your brush.

Now Below, I got rid of the ridge and I decided to crete a nice water area to define my map edge against... this way you wont cut a continent in half when you export to FM8
    I also used a few years of wind and water erosion to give it a more peaked look

Now I use the move tools to adjust the map. Make sure you map is fully seen in the view area and nudge the landmass over, notice water is on both ends of the map.

Now you can save and export into FM8, you can also view in the globe viewer and take pictures from space.
    Yep, you will notice distortion occurs at the north/south poles. Yep, limitations.
    You may never know, perhaps someone will make a utility to convert these maps into the desired map-shapes like the old Traveler dice-shaped maps. (not my map, just example from another website)

• Thank you for bearing with me and for your answers. However, I get a strong impression that you are just dancing around the fact that FM is simply unable to create or process small scale maps unless they happen to be of flat worlds like Pratchett's discworld... Unfortunately, I do not intend to create a flat world. Even worse, it features a meandering ring of landmasses separating its two main bodies of water, so that it is impossible to project this world in its entirety onto a flat surface without cutting its continents.

So, let me try again to specify me needs: I need a mapmaking software which acknowledges the fact that the world I want to map with it is a globe. This means, that this software must be capable of understanding map projections. It seems that FM doesn't fit that criteria, not even when used in conjunction with FWE, although that uses azimuthal orthographic projections for its 3D-views.

What about FTP? Its feature list explicitly includes map projections. However, it doesn't seem to be designed as a mapmaking program. Does anyone know if it is possible to use it to create USERDEFINED global maps, if the software is able to create large scale maps which are submaps of those global maps ("large scale" being defined here as having negligible distortion when treated as a flat surface), and if it is possible to export those submaps as vector data to explicit mapmaking programs? (Vector data is important, Mark, because maps built of raster data do not rescale well.)

I mean, with a whole roleplaying community bent on creating their own worlds, there MUST be a way to actually create maps of your own world without having to purchase professional mapmaking software upwards of 300 euros, right?
  • edited February 2010
    All you can do from FM is take a picture of the FM globe-view if a globe is what you want,
    Unfortunately flat maps are flat...

Do you have an example of a map that you had in mind? the style that you want to present?

An no I'm not trying to dance... I don't own or run NBOS, I'm just trying to answer questions, I have no motives but to help out fellow mappers.

Sorry looks a bit grainy due to crunching it to jpg.
    FTP? I havent a clue what it can do for views, you'll have to ask the profantasy crowd or wait for Ed to respond.
    I've only used CM/CC2/CC3 the basic versions.
  • Richard wrote:
    Well, its not a preference of mine or anything, however...
    Just pointing out you can make vector symbols in FM, besides if you zoom into your map vector wont pixilate. This is a factor to consider in maps with submaps.

In general, I agree. However, if you make your raster maps well in FM8, pixilation doesn't have to be an issue, even with tight in zooms
    Richard wrote:
    I do a ton of art in Vector so I guess I'm used to using it, I wouldn't consider it out of date tho, a good 80% of my art career involves vector images... mostly in 2D animation, logos and flash graphics.

Vector imaging is by no means out of date, But vector (as opposed to raster) mapping in serious and modern RPG material has been like yesterday's snow since about the year 2000 when D&D 3E appeared.
  • I forgot to mention that you do not have to do the procedure of nudging the map in my example... its just easier to to avoid mis-alignments on water/land maps. And yes, you will get misalignments happening with the contours.

Once you link me up with an example of the map style you are looking to achieve, I'll have a better idea if FM will suit your needs.
  • Zeromaniac wrote:
    You see, I really don't think I'm looking for the "eierlegende Wollmilchsau",

Ah, Du sprichst die Sprache! Ausgezeichnet!
    Zeromaniac wrote:
    I just don't understand why FTP and FWE do not allow me to simply draw my own continental contours! Maybe I lack the typical gamer mentality (although I DO a lot of gaming), but why would I want ONLY automatically generated maps? I understand the usefulness of such an option, but am I the only one who actually wants to design a world by himself?

Exactly. Fractal Terrains from ProFantasy and Fractal World Explorer from NBOS both are rather useless to me for just this reason. I have a specific world to develop. Random worlds are of no use to me, although there are a lot of people who are using the two programs because they deliver what these people want. I bought Fractal Terrains several years ago, tried it out and discovered it was useless to me and gave it away. I got Fractal World Explorer together with FM8 and had the same experience I did with Fractal Terrains. However, I didn't give it away this time because it's part of the FM8 package and FM8 does 95% of what I want it to do.
    Zeromaniac wrote:
    but for basic functionality that I'd expect in every program that is designed to help me mapping a world of my own design: If I design a world, I will want small scale maps and large scale maps. Für small scale maps, I obviously want an option to at least view them in true perspective projection (which is obviously not hard to do at all, since several different programs offer this functionality). Then I want to fill in detail by dividing this map into submaps. What could be more natural when you design a world?

That's the key to the problem here. FM8 is a program designed to produce great flat maps (in the sense of flat surfaces, not in the sense of graphical layer flattening). It doesn't do what you want it to do. NBOS doesn't advertise FM8 as being able to do what you want it to do.
    Zeromaniac wrote:
    several different programs offer this functionality)

But these programs apparently don't offer other functionality that you're seeking. That's why i thought and still think that you're looking for the egg-laying woolly milk sow (or eierlegende wollmichsau). I've tried most of the graphical programs that are used in the RPG market, Adobe Photoshop excepted. I have yet to see one that does what you're seeking, although such a program may be lurking out there somewhere waiting for someone to discover it.

It always is a good idea to learn what a program does before buying it. Then you know whether you're getting what you're seeking. The three main cartographic programs are in the RPG market are FM8, Dundjinni and CC3. There are excellent trial versions of FM8 and Dundjinni available at no cost, and ProFantasy let's you return CC3 within 14 days if you don't like it.

Those possibilities will let you discover, as your discussion with Richard is showing, that none of these products are the one that you're seeking. If that product is anywhere, I haven't found it yet, nor have I found the egg-laying woolly milk pig.

On the other hand, if you think the functionality that you're seeking should be built into the next generation of FM and FWE, there's a thread here called "Fractal Mapper 9" where exactly these things are being discussed. If you take a look at this thread, you'll see that the manufacturer reads it and takes it seriously.
  • MarkOliva wrote:
    Zeromaniac wrote:
    You see, I really don't think I'm looking for the "eierlegende Wollmilchsau",

Ah, Du sprichst die Sprache! Ausgezeichnet!
    Zeromaniac wrote:

Exactly. Fractal Terrains from ProFantasy and Fractal World Explorer from NBOS both are rather useless to me for just this reason. I have a specific world to develop. Random worlds are of no use to me, although there are a lot of people who are using the two programs because they deliver what these people want. I bought Fractal Terrains several years ago, tried it out and discovered it was useless to me and gave it away. I got Fractal World Explorer together with FM8 and had the same experience I did with Fractal Terrains. However, I didn't give it away this time because it's part of the FM8 package and FM8 does 95% of what I want it to do.
    Zeromaniac wrote:
    but for basic functionality that I'd expect in every program that is designed to help me mapping a world of my own design: If I design a world, I will want small scale maps and large scale maps. Für small scale maps, I obviously want an option to at least view them in true perspective projection (which is obviously not hard to do at all, since several different programs offer this functionality). Then I want to fill in detail by dividing this map into submaps. What could be more natural when you design a world?

That's the key to the problem here. FM8 is a program designed to produce great flat maps (in the sense of flat surfaces, not in the sense of graphical layer flattening). It doesn't do what you want it to do. NBOS doesn't advertise FM8 as being able to do what you want it to do.
    Zeromaniac wrote:
    several different programs offer this functionality)

But these programs apparently don't offer other functionality that you're seeking. That's why i thought and still think that you're looking for the egg-laying woolly milk sow (or eierlegende wollmichsau). I've tried most of the graphical programs that are used in the RPG market, Adobe Photoshop excepted. I have yet to see one that does what you're seeking, although such a program may be lurking out there somewhere waiting for someone to discover it.

It always is a good idea to learn what a program does before buying it. Then you know whether you're getting what you're seeking. The three main cartographic programs are in the RPG market are FM8, Dundjinni and CC3. There are excellent trial versions of FM8 and Dundjinni available at no cost, and ProFantasy let's you return CC3 within 14 days if you don't like it.

Those possibilities will let you discover, as your discussion with Richard is showing, that none of these products are the one that you're seeking. If that product is anywhere, I haven't found it yet, nor have I found the egg-laying woolly milk pig.

On the other hand, if you think the functionality that you're seeking should be built into the next generation of FM and FWE, there's a thread here called "Fractal Mapper 9" where exactly these things are being discussed. If you take a look at this thread, you'll see that the manufacturer reads it and takes it seriously.

Ja, ich spreche "die Sprache"! I could continue our discussion in German, but I think others (well, Richard) might want to follow it, too.

Well, the functionality I'm seeking does exist. Both Mapmaker Pro and OCAD offfer it, and probably other similar programs I haven't heard of, since it IS an essential function for mapmakers. Actually, the first question you ask - unless a map is really large scale - will always be: Which projection do you use? Worlds (excluding discworld and the like) aren't flat. Maps are. You need to a projection.

The problem with RPG mapmaking software seems to be, that most people who use it are NOT worldbuilders. Essentially, they play in settings which could as well be from a discworld. That's sufficient for a D&D campaign, I guess.

However, I am really surprised that this functionality is missing from programs which are supposed to work with world generating software like FTP, FWE or AstroSynthesis! Obviously, projections are possible (3D planet views certainly are projections, and FTP explicitly offers 24 different projections, plus userdefined options!), and obviously, when programs like FWE and FTP generate worlds with more or less realistic climate and weather patterns - and even allow for importing real world binary data! - they acknowledge the fact that worlds are (nearly) spheres. So I really expected that there had to be SOME way to combine mapmaking functionality with projections functionality in gamer software, since they both exist seperately, and - well - what's the POINT of generating world maps, if they don't show a real world? Also, I am astonished, nay, nearly dumbfounded, that noone except me even seems to miss this functionality! Obviously, RPG software is not even targeted at people who want to produce MAPS, just (more or less) pretty pictures resembling maps! While that is certainly an alluring option, it simply hasn't much to do with worldbuilding. Honestly, if all I really want to do is produce nice handouts for a RPG campaign, I don't see why I shouldn't use Campaign Cartographer - when it comes to pretty pictures and symbols, it appears superior to FM, and I don't have much use for software that is neither useful for worldbuilding nor the better solution in regards to eye candy. I am much disappointed that the designers of FWE and FTP (which, if I understand correctly, are closely related) do not offer an essential mapmaking functionality which they have proven to already know how to implement. I'll go out on a limb, even though I have no programming skills at all: It CAN't be that difficult, at least not with vector data, since a projection is nothing more than a mathematical transformation of coordinates. If you know how to do zooming of vector graphics and rotating 3D views, you certainly are also capable of describing maps as projections in a latitude/longitude system!

Well, it seems I have to resign myself to consider the purchase of professional software. It is a shame, though! Mapmaker gratis, for example, offers about twenty times of nearly all funcionality I need - but projections only come with Mapmaker Pro, which offers options that are completely out of proportion for a lay worldbuilder (and so is the price). Obviously, there is no market for amateur worldbuilding.

You know, I REALLY hoped that there was some kind of workaround (and I believe I still have some hope left, because why else would I spend so much time debating this?), but it seems that I will be forced to spend ten times the money that FM or CC would cost me on software which I will probably never learn to use more than a tiny fraction of.

Richard: I'm not exactly looking for a "map style". I'm looking for a way to draw maps of an earthlike world. I can only link to a Wikipedia article here: Essentially, I expect the software to be able to do orthographic projections. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthograph ... ography%29

They simply show the world as it is seen by an observer from space. Of course, you must be able to rotate that projection freely. (That's visually just the same thing as if you were rotating a globus that you look upon.) For large scale maps this projection will (like all projections) behave like a typical "flat world" map with orthogonal coordinates. (For that reason it would be okay to create detailled large scale submaps in "flat world" modus after exporting.) Additional projections are nice - for example, if you want to produce a world map that actually shows the entire world - but not essential.

As for mapmaking funcionality, I expect at the very least to be able to use polygon objects in the usual ways (drawing freehand or with vertices, dragging, zooming and rotating, cutting, joining and snapping). Raster data, of course, is of very limited use here (although you can improve the visuals of a fixed view with it).

Judging from its features list, FM offers the required mapmaking functionality, but completely ignores the fact that an earthlike world is not flat, making it completely useless for a worldbuilder.
  • Hmm...
    ok, if there is a question about creating within FWE, you also have to consider that FWE is not an editor that creates maps using lines and shapes... its more of a process of layering strokes like 3D displacement mapping, much like Carrara or Vue when using their terrain tools (These are 3D software tools).
    FM8 can only take the data from the FWE file and present it to the mapper in contours.

The map maker could still use the exported images and arrange them to present the viewer with the map-presentation you want, provided you do a little bit of "photoshop" work. Latitude lines can be placed on your map and presented on the image output in an azimuthal/orthographic projection. That last Image I posted was out of FM8 and can be of larger size in a more lossless format.

It's up to the mapper to create the effect with the tools...
    Are you presenting maps in a book? are they 3D objects?

Still again, a sample of a map-style that you want to create would give me more of an idea of what you are expecting... however I suspect that what you want would only be achieved through using any RPG mapping software and further altering it inside some image editing software... at least that would be what I would do.

Related:
    My specialty is in 3D modeling, however I use quite a few programs to achieve the effects I want, "one software" solution is unheard of in this field. I use one of two 3D programs to create the mesh, a 2D program to enhance the texture maps, another program to Render/Animate, and another to compose/green-screen
  • Zeromaniac wrote:
    Ja, ich spreche "die Sprache"! I could continue our discussion in German, but I think others (well, Richard) might want to follow it, too.

Exactly. That's why I wrote egg-laying woolly milk sow in my first posting instead of eierlegende Wollmilchsau.
    Zeromaniac wrote:
    Well, the functionality I'm seeking does exist. Both Mapmaker Pro and OCAD offfer it, and probably other similar programs I haven't heard of

That's good. That's probably what you need then. FT + CC3 and FM8 + AS + FEW obviously aren't what you need.
    Zeromaniac wrote:
    since it IS an essential function for mapmakers. Actually, the first question you ask - unless a map is really large scale - will always be: Which projection do you use? Worlds (excluding discworld and the like) aren't flat. Maps are. You need to a projection.

The problem with RPG mapmaking software seems to be, that most people who use it are NOT worldbuilders. Essentially, they play in settings which could as well be from a discworld. That's sufficient for a D&D campaign, I guess.

This not only is nonsense but it is indirectly insulting to other people here. Your way of doing maps, projections or whatever is just fine, for you. But your way is by no means the only way. Arrogant statements like the following really have no place in forums like this one:
    Zeromaniac wrote:
    Also, I am astonished, nay, nearly dumbfounded, that noone except me even seems to miss this functionality! Obviously, RPG software is not even targeted at people who want to produce MAPS, just (more or less) pretty pictures resembling maps! While that is certainly an alluring option, it simply hasn't much to do with worldbuilding,

In the 1990s, I worked closely with people who developed what still is one of the most successful RPG worlds ever created. They're real worldbuilders not just hopefuls. What you insist is essential was useless garbage to them.
  • Richard: Maybe the reason we don't understand each other is that you consider a map primarily to be a graphic object. For me it is primarily an organized collection of data which can be represented graphically in different ways (and while I value different map styles, which consist of color schemes and symbol libraries, I wouldn't be too picky about them). Pretend for a moment that the world I want to create happens to be 99.9% identical to earth. Then I want to be able to view it in exactly the ways you would want to view earth with modern cartographic software: On maps with latitudes / longitudes and different projections dependant on the area you want to view. In short, you'd want an interactive atlas - maps you can scroll, zoom and rotate. The visual output you get at any time will not be the "map", but a "view" of the map. The map itself is organized data. (Since a global scale map containing data that is detailled enough for large scale maps might be too much to handle, you might want to create submaps for inclusion of more detail.)

Mark: I'm sorry if anyone feels insulted by my statements! That was not my intent. However, I stand to my point: I feel worldbuilding doesn''t deserve that label unless you care for actually designing a world in its entirety. I'm not talking about fleshing out every little detail, which is obviously impossible, but creating a logical fundament including, first and foremost, a general description of the globe, including its size, general distribution of landmasses, climate and weather patterns (this reads, probably not coincidentally, like a list of features from world generating software...) Designing a standalone continent, attributing climate zones to it without defining its exact position on the globe and placing it somewhere in the middle of a big ocean isn't worldbuilding. Adding more continents doesn't change that either, unless you use that opportunity to finally define the globe of that world.

I'm not, in any way, belittling the skill or work people put into the design of their RPG campaign settings! But I hold that these settings aren't worlds in the sense that FWE or TP generate worlds, although they are certainly sufficient for most gamers' needs. A setting, even if it happens to include multiple continents, isn't a world unless it is designed as such.

I guess you were referring to Aventurien? I have great respect for the creativity and the amount of detail which went into the creation of that setting. Nonetheless, the design of that setting was never motivated by worldbuilding.

If you are involved with that crowd, maybe you know about this project? http://sites.google.com/site/dereglobus/projekte/klima This seems to me - on first look, at least - to be a fandriven effort to retroactively build a world using the plethora of available setting data. (So much harder than working the other way round!)

Mark, the designers of Aventurien were NOT worldbuilders. They didn't need a global master map or the essentials I named to produce such a thing, because they did not care for worldbuilding. It wasn't just these essentials which were "garbage" to them, it was the whole worldbuilding aspect, which they didn't need to devise a campaign setting. You can create great roleplaying campaigns or roleplaying games without caring for worldbuilding (although that is truer for fantasy than for science fiction - which is why there are products like FTP or AstroSynthesis!)

I want to create a world (a campaign setting tied to it may come later, if I find the energy). Thus I have to work starting from global scale, and thus I have the need for creating submaps from a global scale master map. And I've come to realize that these needs are rare enough that they do not create a market for software meeting them. Please don't feel insulted when I state that fact!
  • ok, sorry my last post, I missed your previous reply.

Ok, I see from your example you want a non-3D rendered Orthographic.
    You could "fake" it using the 3D global projection but that seems to be all.

Yep, looks like we need to bug Ed on this one... lol.

Thanks for your input (and needs) Zero.
    Personally I think this would be a nice feature that I would also use myself.

(BTW look at Autorealm, I'm not sure if it supports this view but its free)
  • Richard wrote:
    ok, sorry my last post, I missed your previous reply.

Ok, I see from your example you want a non-3D rendered Orthographic.
    You could "fake" it using the 3D global projection but that seems to be all.

Yep, looks like we need to bug Ed on this one... lol.

Thanks for your input (and needs) Zero.
    Personally I think this would be a nice feature that I would also use myself.

(BTW look at Autorealm, I'm not sure if it supports this view but its free)

Thanks for the tip! I already found Autorealm, and concluded from the available descriptions that it is simply an inferior (but free) alternative to CC or FM. I'm just SO disappointed that the otherwise more than satisfying Map Maker Gratis doesn't support projections, and that there is no intermediate product between the freeware and the professional software weighing in at 335 euros! It feels like I need 10 nails, but the only available chocies are to buy a single package with 9 nails or another with 9999...

BTW, Richard, maybe you'd like to have a look at Map Maker yourself! You can freely download it and even evaluate the pro version for 30 days. http://www.mapmaker.com/index.htm Even without projections functionality, it offers a lot more real mapmaking options than FM or CC, and if you want to posh up your maps afterwards using the raster data toys of these programs, you can export tham as bitmaps (or maybe EMFs for FM), which I assume the RPG software can import.

I admit, I am a bit intimidated by the extent of Map Maker's functionalities, since I have no prior experience with virtual map making, but for someone like you, who obviously has a lot of experience in that area, it might be very attractive to work with a software that gives you enhanced options at the cost of reduced accessability for novices.
  • Zeromaniac wrote:

The reason FT and FWE dont let you draw out your own contours is because... thats not what they are for. They are for creating random terrain. That's their purpose. They are both 3D height field editors, not vector drawing tools. The data they store is very different from lines and vectors - they store information about points - elevation and other data. This data, once generated (or painted with the raise/lower tools) can then be converted to vectors-based graphics - but that conversion is one way. its easy to go from 3D to 2D data, but you cant effectively go from 2D to 3D.

Fractal Mapper, on the other hand, lets you draw out the contours of your map. So if you want to draw out something specific, just create the whole thing in FM.

Alternatively, if you really want the heightfield look, use the 'water world' option in FWE, and draw out your world using the raise/lower tools.
  • While i was busy writing this long post, Ed has chimed in, so I want to address him first: Thank you for answering, Ed, but what I need is not the fancy heightfield look of FWE - although that is really nice! - but the ability to create and view my map in a projection that is useful on gobal scale (orthographic) and redraw that map to allow for views with other focus points, different orientation and, of course, in varying scales. I originally assumed that global viewing of maps meant that, but I learned that this is not the case. BTW, will you comment on my issues / wish list, Ed?

After having bugged you so persistently, I thought I'd let you know how things have worked out for me so far. Maybe someone else reading this thread is interested in my experiences. Oh, and of course I could still use a lot of help...

First of all, after practicing really hard with my trial version of Map Maker, I've given up on it. It's not just the outrageous price tag of the pro version. It's not just that this program is a bit (actually, a lot more than a BIT) intimidating for a map maker novice. After spending a 2-digit amount of hours with it, I have come to the conclusion that it is not just unintuitive to use, but plain unwieldy. Still, since it offers a plethora of features I want (and at least as many I'd probably never use), I would've seen this through, if it wasn't for additional issues: Map maker is bugged. Some of its most basic functions sometimes work and sometimes don't, even if I use absolutely the same setup trying to reproduce those bugs. Worse, often what happens will completely destroy the layer you are working on, and the undo function doesn't help. I'd need to save practically every two minutes or so (which, BTW, requires me to recreate the live layer each time). But that's not all: Map Maker CRASHES, and not just when I'm trying something fancy, but at the most innocent occasions, and in most cases not reproducable (meaning that I can perform the exact action which caused the crash after restarting without problems). I already decided that I wouldn't spend 300+ bucks on a program that crashes several times a day, when I found out that even the very functionality I was looking for required a really complicated implementation, since Map Maker assumes that you're only interested in real-world maps.

As I said, I gave up, and I actually bought Fractal Mapper, which was clearly the best available option left. I created a couple of orthographic globe views featuring latitudal / longitudinal grids with Map Maker (which I won't be able to do anymore when my trial version of Map Maker Pro is reset to Map Maker gratis) and exported them to bitmap format, so that I can use them as backgrounds for FM maps. My task will now be to manually recreate such a grid as a vector object (since the bitmap really doesn't really work at smaller scales due to aliasing effects, and is too rough even at larger scales), which I can load into a separate layer and then use to manually transform landmass contours by setting coordinates for landmarks by hand and redigitizing them (again, manually) on maps with a different focus (since in orthographic projections the area around the focus isn't distorted too much, but near the borders shows very heavy distortion) - a very complicated and tedious workaround, but I don't know what else I could do.
    Everything would be so elegant, if FM understood orthographic projections, and that globe viewer would actually be useful and not just a pretty toy... Also, things would be much easier, if FM and Map Maker could read each other's EMF files, or if FM knew how to process the widely used DXF files. I still feel that FM places too high a value on artistic functions instead of carthographic functions, but I concede that it is not as bad as Campaign Cartographer in this respect. (I watched the CC tutorials, and my initial interest changed to complete disinterest - I felt nearly insulted by the idea that these tutorials were supposed to evoke my interest! It was all about cheap visual effects and almost nothing about mapmaking. I feel priorites got mixed up really badly here!)

I will list the things I am already missing after working for just two days with FM - partly to communicate my needs in case one of the developers is listening (edit - Hi, Ed!), partly because it is possible I simply overlooked something (although I read the manual diligently), or someone knows a good workaround:

1. Communication with other mapmaking programs, so that you can exchange not only raster, but also vector data.
    2. Use of latitude and longitude as coordinates, and the ability to redraw maps according to different projections.
    3. Idiot-proof installation! I installed FM three times before I found out why my symbol folders kept disappearing and the globe viewer needed to be reinstalled after every use: Even though I explicitly told the installer where FM was to be installed, it kept creating and referring to a different directory. I had to cut and paste the whole Nbos folder to the correct directory, and I am afraid that I still need to doublecheck which directory FM refers to whenever I load or save a file. (BTW, I use WIndows 7, not Windows Vista.)
    4. Better Map View Options. I really want to pan my maps the way I can pan the views in global viewer, and I want a one-click zoom option for zooming in and out by factors of 2 and/or self-defined factors. Also, a clickable navigation map would be great! Then there should be an option to go to specified coordinates. (I believe a "gazetteer" option, which consists of a drop-down list of named objects, which you can click to refocus the map on them, is out of scope for FM, but I wanted to mention it just in case!) EDIT: I forgot to mention that "Zoom in to an area" isn't working they way one should suppose - it doesn't rescale the map to the area you include in the box. That is counterintuitive and unwieldy.
    5. Screen editing. It's nice that you can, for example, collapse the special effect tools, but what's the point if you do not maximize your mapping area that way? It would also be nice if one could define and rearrange the contents of the taskbars. Using the mapping tools always feels like playing a point-and-click adventure to me.
    6. Calibrating map scales with screen scales. It's not too important, but it would be nice if you had a scale bar which shows actual screen scale, ilke on a printed map.
    7. Accessing basic object information (name, type, exact location, layer) via mouseover or right click. Even cooler would be if object dimensions (length/area) were shown as well.
    8. Measurement tools. I THINK I saw a way to at least measure distances between objects in FM, but I cannot find it anymore, so I probably mixed that up with Map Maker. Measuring distances (including polyline lenghts), areas and angles would be really nice!
    9. "Geometric" objects. That one's a biggie! FM knows geographic lines and objects - but why not symbols and text (labels)? I really need an option to mark and label points on the map regardless of scale! Am I overlooking something? And IS there even a way to mark a point on the map other than with (not scaling) symbols? The example maps on Nbos' site suggest that there is, but I didn't find it. The "city map" custom tool, at least, seems completely silly. I want to name my cities (and other objects) myself, with scaling symbols and labels (and why wouldn't that label be tied to the object name?) Please don't tell me that this isn't possible with FM!
    10. Opening maps using recent settings used with them. I wish I didn't need to reestablish things like fractal factor (where I would vastly prefer a default of 0), default color or active layer each time I open a map.
    11. Embedding objects (bitmaps, text) regardless of focus and zoom ("map furniture"). Considering how many options FM offers to improve the aesthetics of your map, I wouldn't be surprised if I just overlooked this option! Anyways, it seems to me the most basic visual improvement.
    12. Improved layer management. It should be possible to save and export layers to other maps without creating a submap, and to merge layers (This means that each map needs its own layers assigned to it.) Also, ordering opaque layers (actually, layers in general, but this is the most important use) in top-down fashion (in the way grids can be shown above and below) would be really useful.
    13. A listing of all objects and their basic data in a layer/map with options for zooming to an object and mass-editing .
    14. Placing objects (mainly symbols) on exact locations instead of into a frame (this is related to my dire need for geometric symbols!) Also, a tool that draws exact circles (defined by center and radius, of course) is needed - so far I found myself drawing ellipses to approximate circles (and I'm really bad at freehand drawing).
    15. Easy Cloning/Copying to a new position. Now, I admit that I probably just didn't find out how that works, but Copy / Paste seems only to allow me to create an identical object in the exact same position, which needs to be dragged (and is easily overlooked), which is unwieldy. I also don't get the exact difference between Copy/Paste and Cloning of an object ("Clone to", of course, is a different animal), apart from the cloned object appearing shifted slightly. Why would I ever use Copy/Paste instead of Cloning? I haven't found out yet. Anyways: What I want (and expect to be possible) ist to clone an object once and then redraw it at any number of locations simply by clicking those.

That is my issues / wish list so far. (It will probably grow when I get to know the software better.) The most important things for me are the following:
    Creating submaps from a global map in orthographic projection (probably hopeless, but important enough that I won't stop mentioning it);
    adding scaling symbols and text labels (really, REALLY important);
    easy mass-cloning of symbols by simple clicking.
    However, I'll appreciate hints regarding any topic on my list!
  • There are a few of your questions/requests that are already possible, I should have my videos finish by this weekend on using FM.

It will get into some of your problems and show you how to create a lot of custom content.
    Stay tuned!
  • I hate to resurrect an old post, but I think this is what you are looking for Zeromaniac.

http://flexprojector.com/about.html

Leave a Comment