Trying to use Set/Constant and am not able to. Requesting assistance and an explanation, please.

I'm trying to build a stat creator for a story where my character will be living life as a video game. I've gotten the basic stats down but I don't know how to get it to work. I have done this before so I'm not entirely sure I'm doing anything wrong.

; Enemy Stat Gen.ipt
; created 11/9/2021 2:31:52 PM
Prompt: Level/HD {} 1
Prompt: MptSpt Divide {20|30|40|50|60|80|100} 50
Prompt: Mana {25|50|75|100|125|150|175|200} 100
Prompt: Stamina {25|50|75|100|125|150|175|200} 100

SET: BETA={DICE}
SET: ALPHA={DICE}
set: DICE={1d6+2}
set: ST1={STR}
set: DE1={DEX}
set: IN1={INT}
set: WI1={WIS}
set: LU1={LUK}
set: VI1={VIT}

Table: primary
Character Stats\n\n&
Primary Stats\n\n&
Level {$prompt1}\n&
Strength {ST1} (Increases physical strength, muscle power)\n&
Vitality {VI1} (Increases HP or health regeneration)\n&
Dexterity {DE1} (Speed)\n&
Intelligence {IN1} (Increases MP)\n&
Wisdom {WI1} (Increase mana resistance)\n&
Luck {LU1}\n\n&
Secondary Stats\n\n&
Magic Resistance {({WIS/10}+{1})} pt every minute (increases by 1% every 10 WIS points.)\n&
Mana Regeneration {({WIS/10}+{1})} pt every minute (increases by 1% every 10 WIS points.)\n&
Physical resistance {({ALPHA1}{3d3})}% \n&
Magic {({({$prompt1}
{$prompt3})}+{VIT}+{STR})} (level * Mana + VIT + INT)\n&
Magic Resistance {({$BETA}{2d2})}%\n&
Health {({({$prompt1}
{$prompt4})}+{VIT}+{STR})} (level * Stamina + VIT + STR)\n&
Mana {$prompt3} (Magical Potential)\n&
Stamina {prompt4} (Health Potential)
table: STR
{({DICE}+{({$prompt4}/{$prompt2})})}
table: DEX
{({DEX}+{({$prompt4}/{$prompt2})})}
table: INT
{({INT}+{({$prompt3}/{$prompt2})})}
table: WIS
{({WIS}+{({$prompt3}/{$prompt2})})}
table: LUK
{({DICE}+{({$prompt3}/{$prompt2})})}
table: VIT
{({({$prompt4}/{$prompt2})}+{DICE})}

Comments

• I don't understand what you are trying to do. But you are using SET commands to set constants equal to the values stored in variables (e.g. {STR}) before any values have been assigned to them. So they end up containing nothing. Possibly you want [@ ] instead of { }? But then in the tables at the end to calculate those values, you are referencing variables that don't exist at all (e.g. {DEX}) so that isn't going to work either.

I think SET would also normally be within the table (i.e. right after the Table: Primary line) rather than at the beginning of the generator.

• Those at the bottom that are messed up are all supposed to say 'DICE'. I corrected it and it still didn't work, but when I also did the [@ ] to those in the set and moved the set to beneath the first line, it worked for the most part. I also tinkered with it a little more since a character with 100 mana and 50 mptspt divide should have around 100 magic points as a level one character. It was initially saying they had 1110 magic points. I forgot this '*' in two places and it fixed it to working properly.
    I guess that it was the mislabeled things in the sublist that should have been 'dice'.

However, I realized that I needed DICE1-DICE7 for the stats beneath it. Apparently I had forgotten that the stats were all going to be the same if I didn't have different 'dice' values.

I appreciate the help, I hadn't even noticed I forgot to change those at the bottom, I used the replace all button in the Replace menu on those and they hadn't all left. I don't know why though, I guess I had been pressing buttons too fast.

• I definitely find that if I don't make any generators for a few months, I forget how everything works. :)

• If you're still looking for an answer...

I'll focus on Strength {ST1} as an example.

You've set ST1 to STR as if STR is a variable, but you have no variable called that. You have a table named STR that you never invoke. If you want the STR table to set the Strength value, use Strength [@STR]

By using set: DICE={1d6+2} you're setting the value of DICE once. If 1d6+2 yields 5, then DICE is 5 every time you use it. If you want a different 1d6+2 each time, use define: DICE={1d6+2} instead.

Some of your notation could be simplified. For example:
    {({DICE}+{({$prompt4}/{$prompt2})})}
    could be written
    {{DICE}+(prompt4/prompt2)}

Or you could skip the variable altogether and write {1d6+2+(prompt4/prompt2)}

By the way, that could even be {DICE+(prompt4/prompt2)} (no braces around DICE) if you use set instead of define with DICE. If you use define, it needs to be in braces. Whether it's a quirk or a feature, {DICE+(prompt4/prompt2)} gives you results like "Strength 6" if you set DICE, but "Strength 52" if you define DICE. Using {DICE} (with braces) in that context gives you the intended result either way.

• Wow, that seems rather simple. I guess that the Set Dice is the main point I messed up with.
    Okay, here is the first complete result with 20 Divide, 100 mana, and 200 stamina.

Character Stats
    Primary Stats
    Level 1
    Strength 13 (Increases physical strength, muscle power)
    Vitality 15 (Increases HP or health regeneration)
    Dexterity 15 (Speed)
    Intelligence 9 (Increases MP)
    Wisdom 10 (Increase mana resistance)
    Luck 10
    Secondary Stats
    Magic Resistance 2 pt every minute (increases by 1% every 10 WIS points.)
    Mana Regeneration 2 pt every minute (increases by 1% every 10 WIS points.)
    Physical resistance 5%
    Magic 125 (level * Mana + VIT + INT)
    Magic Resistance 3%
    Health 228 (level * Stamina + VIT + STR)
    Mana 100 (Magical Potential)
    Stamina 200 (Health Potential)

• Should I also note the Divisions? It simplifies how close mundane the person is. like 20% mundane is what I just showed above in the completed version.

• The minimal percentage of Mundane is 20%, for one grandparent, it is 40%, two grandparents s 60%, three grandparents is 80% and a muggleborn is 100% mundane ancestry.

• I messed it up already, I tried simplifying the calculations for Magic and Health and destroyed my symmetry.

Is there anything I can do to shorten these:

Magic Resistance {({WIS/10}+{1})} pt every minute (increases by 1% every 10 WIS points.)\n&
    Mana Regeneration {({WIS/10}+{1})} pt every minute (increases by 1% every 10 WIS points.)\n&
    Physical resistance {({ALPHA1}{3d3})}% \n&
    Magic {{$prompt1}{$prompt3}}+{VIT}+{STR}} (level * Mana + VIT + INT)\n&
    Magic Resistance {({$BETA}{2d2})}%\n&
    Health {{$prompt1}{$prompt4}}+{VIT}+{STR}} (level * Stamina + VIT + STR)\n&

• Magic Resistance {({WIS/10}+{1})} pt every minute (increases by 1% every 10 WIS points.)\n&

Am I interpreting this correctly to mean magic resistance starts at 1%, and goes up by another 1% for each 10 wisdom? First, you'd need to capture the wisdom score in a variable, something like Wisdom {wis=3d6}

Then you could write:
    Magic Resistance {1+floor(wis/10)}%

You have a few lines that look like they're putting two numbers adjacent to each other when maybe you want multiplication or addition. Setting numbers next to each other is like writing the digits out as one number:

{first==2}{second==3}\n&
    Next to each other: {first}{second}\n&
    Multiplied: {first*second}\n&
    Added: {first+second}\n&
    Next to each other in a formula: {{first}{second}*2}
  • Wow, that's really complicated. I have gotten it to work though, so thanks. However, I was going to use the {$prompt2} as a divider since the smaller the number the more mp and hp they would have. I'm thinking of doing 1/4th the numbers in the Mana and Stamina since they affect them. I'm thinking maybe 1-40 for both of those, but listed by fives. I'll go ahead and test that now.

• Okay, to make the HP and the Mp half decent I have to do this instead...
    Prompt: MptSpt Divide {20|30|40|50|60|80|100} 50
    Prompt: Mana {5|10|15|20|25|30|35|40|45|50|55|60|65|70|75|80|85|90|95|100} 50
    Prompt: Stamina {5|10|15|20|25|30|35|40|45|50|55|60|65|70|75|80|85|90|95|100} 50

SET: BETA={1d6+2}
    SET: ALPHA={1d6+2}
    set: STR={3d6+2}
    set: VIT={3d6+2}
    set: DEX={3d6+2}
    set: INT={3d6+2}
    set: WIS={3d6+2}
    set: LUK={3d6+2}

Character Stats\n&
    Level {$prompt1}\n&
    Primary Stats\n&
    Strength {STR} || Vitality {VIT} || Dexterity {DEX}\n&
    Intelligence {INT} || Wisdom {WIS} || Luck {LUK}\n&
    Secondary Stats\n&
    Physical Regenaration {{VIT/10}+{1}} pt every minute || Mana Regeneration {({WIS/10}+{1})} pt every minute\n&
    Physical resistance {({ALPHA}+{3d3})} || Magic Resistance {({BETA}+{2d2})}\n&
    Magic {{{{$prompt1}{$prompt3}}{{INT}+{WIS}+{$prompt1}}}/{$prompt2}} || Health {{{{$prompt1}{$prompt4}}{{VIT}+{STR}+{$prompt1}}}/{$prompt2}}\n&
    Mana {$prompt3} (Magical Potential) || Stamina {prompt4} (Health Potential)\n&
    I'm going to try to get all three (including the divider) beneath 50 as the highest.

• this is the complete version for my gamer-story.
    Prompt: MptSpt Divide {5|10|20|25|30|40|50} 25
    Prompt: Mana {5|10|20|25|30|40|50} 25
    Prompt: Stamina {5|10|20|25|30|40|50} 25

SET: BETA={1d6+2}
    SET: ALPHA={1d6+2}
    set: STR={1d6+2}
    set: VIT={1d6+2}
    set: DEX={1d6+2}
    set: INT={1d6+2}
    set: WIS={1d6+2}
    set: LUK={1d6+2}

Character Stats\n&
    Level {$prompt1}\n&
    Primary Stats\n&
    Strength {STR} || Vitality {VIT} || Dexterity {DEX}\n&
    Intelligence {INT} || Wisdom {WIS} || Luck {LUK}\n&
    Secondary Stats\n&
    Physical Regenaration {{VIT/10}+{1}} pt every minute || Mana Regeneration {({WIS/10}+{1})} pt every minute\n&
    Physical resistance {({ALPHA}+{3d3})} || Magic Resistance {({BETA}+{2d2})}\n&
    Magic {{{{{$prompt1}{$prompt3}}{{INT}+{WIS}+{$prompt1}}}3}/{$prompt2}} || Health {{{{{$prompt1}{$prompt4}}{{VIT}+{STR}+{$prompt1}}}/{$prompt2}}3}\n&
    Mana {$prompt3} (Magical Potential) || Stamina {prompt4} (Health Potential)\n&
    Character has {1d3+2} spell theories in inventory, these are also known as growth exercises.\n&
    Character also has {2d3+2} feats available to be taken, these can act like bonuses and are always equiped after gaining them.\n&
    You start with three feats but you gain one every fifth level, which can be selected from those available to you.\n&
    Feel free to use it yourself~!

Leave a Comment