Non-star objects

Does anyone have any advice on placing other kinds of things within a sector, such as the Helix Nebula or the Coal Sack? To be honest, I have no foggiest idea how to go about converting RA/DEC and distance into X, Y and Z coordinates.

Comments

• Posted this under your other post, but it also applies here. Check out Project Rho. It has a lot of this type of math worked out.

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/starmaps/

For larger areas, like nebulas that span multiple light years, you might use Spheres of Influence, or maybe even subsectors to mark the map.

• That was pretty much the plan... unless I can find a way to put an actual image of the nebula centered on that spot. For the Coal Sack, I'd figured I'd just use a sphere of influence with a very dark grey color.

• You can assign a blazon image to a marker on the map. That will let you show an image. It can't scale, but may suffice.

• It might... but for a nebula, I'd probably want an image that could cover several light years on the map. I might be able to do that in the image file, since I can't scale it as a blazon.

Can I safely assume that the image will "rotate" to face the viewer, no matter which direction he's looking from?

• Yes, it'll always face the viewer.

• Yeah, this one isn't working either. I tried using the Helix Nebula as an example. The largest photo I can find of it is 6000x4000, and that barely shows up at all. I need something that will cover 2.5 ly for Helix, and no picture I can find is anywhere close. Based on what I'm seeing with 6k x 4k, I'm guessing I'd need a photo something like 10 times that size.

Leave a Comment