Can't seem to load other maps right...

Hey guys,

Lovin' your products, and i really hate to nub things up, but I just can not get other people's maps to load. There are sometimes I have problems getting the maps I've made to load. Could it be going to some random/other layer automatically? After I 'load' a map, and spend a couple minutes scratchin' my head, I look around at different layers, and check all the preferences I can think to look at. I still haven't found anything, so close the program and it asks if I want to save...

Like I said, love the product, hope I'm not missing the obvious

(p.s. i have this issue with .jpg and .png files, should i look to save/export the downloaded maps into a different format?)

Comments

• Hmmm...
    Do you "see" the map after it loads?
    Which maps are you loading? from NOX?

What is the problem with the exported images? missing extension? image quality?
    What OS are you using?
  • I am also unaware of any issue w/ bad files, or extensions. These files open up in my other picture viewing programs, so I don't think it's bad or corrupt data.
  • When it downloaded, it was a .jpg, and I used Inkscape to convert it to a .png,
    which, for some reason I thought would be a friendlier format... maybe this is my issue?

It sounds like you're trying to open JPG and PNG files as if they are Fractal Mapper files, which certainly will fail. FM wont do that. It can only load .fmp files. Try loading some of the samples that ship with FM.

(ps: there seemed to be a problem with the board there, and one of your posts was deleted by accident)
  • I kinda figured that was the issue... kind of a bummer, as some of the maps are really cool. Anyways, thanks for the help, and thanks for the product. It's really cool!!!
  • But you can still open up a new Fractal mapper map...
    in the map setup, you can designate an image as a background... which is great if you want to make a copy of the JPG as an FM map.

I do this sometimes, I sketch out something for a basic map shape idea, save it as a bitmap and then import it through the map settings and then trace it out in FM.
  • Really? That's awesome!!!! I'm gonna have to try that, thx for the input!
  • Richard wrote:
    But you can still open up a new Fractal mapper map...
    in the map setup, you can designate an image as a background... which is great if you want to make a copy of the JPG as an FM map.

I do this sometimes, I sketch out something for a basic map shape idea, save it as a bitmap and then import it through the map settings and then trace it out in FM.

Damn! Richard beat me to the punch this time.

So it goes. Nix für Ungut!

Leave a Comment