FM, SM, and Dundjinni

Greetings,

I have downloaded the trials for all of the NBOS products and I must admit that I am very impressed and that, when my budget allows, I will be purchasing all of the products.

However, I did have a question regarding Screen Monkey.

I really like Fractal Mapper, but I tend to prefer the visuals for encounter maps that Dundjinni provides. Is there a way for me to use their maps with SM? Can I import their maps with Fractal Mapper and then use them in SM?

Also, I was testing (playing with) the map features of FM last night, in order to see how they work with SM. Yes, I could not save the FM map, but I COULD export it to use in SM. However, as I had set the grid to about 5 squares to the inch (on screen) the NPC icons in SM were far too large.

Is there a way to re-size the icons? Or, is there a function in FM that automatically sets the grid size to match the default background map in SM (and thus being the right size to fit the icons)?

I really like the programs, and have sent the links to my cousin, who is a fellow gamer. Between his group, and mine, NBOS could very well reap a nice chunk of change from us. :)

Additionally, as I have zero programming ability (beyond some MINOR html tweaks) is it possible for someone to create (or have they already created) a utility program that one can build their own enhancements to SM, using a building block style of creation?

For example, I play and GM Hackmaster Basic which uses different initiative dice for different characters, but the way initiative dice are set, I'd have to change the init die for each character (possibly) during many encounters - which adds a significant delay to play. I'd like to be able to set the init die for each character at the start of each session, and on the fly (as init die changes based on encounter variables)

A last question: Can SM support more than one map up at a time? Sometimes, my group takes different paths and while some members have a city encounter, others may have a different encounter in a different part of the city or in the countryside. I'd like to be able to show the player the map his/her character is on and not show the same map to everyone.

Comments

• Greetings,
    I really like Fractal Mapper, but I tend to prefer the visuals for encounter maps that Dundjinni provides. Is there a way for me to use their maps with SM? Can I import their maps with Fractal Mapper and then use them in SM?
    SM can open image files such as jpg, png's, etc - so you can export your DJ map as an image SM should be able to load it.
    Is there a way to re-size the icons?
    No, the min's are shown at the pixel size of their graphic files. ie, a 32x32 graphic file is shown at 32x32 pixels on the map.
    Additionally, as I have zero programming ability (beyond some MINOR html tweaks) is it possible for someone to create (or have they already created) a utility program that one can build their own enhancements to SM, using a building block style of creation?
    I'm not sure what you're asking here... SM does have a pretty thorough scripting API that allows people to greatly customize the system.
    A last question: Can SM support more than one map up at a time?
    No, it only shows the map thats in the GMs display.
  • Ed_NBOS wrote:
    SM can open image files such as jpg, png's, etc - so you can export your DJ map as an image SM should be able to load it.

Great to know! :)

I really like the 3D city maps from Dunjinni, which is also something I will want to export for SM. If FM did those kind of maps, then I'd have less need for any other mapping program....hint hint.
    Ed_NBOS wrote:
    No, the min's are shown at the pixel size of their graphic files. ie, a 32x32 graphic file is shown at 32x32 pixels on the map.

Okay, understood, but is there a help guide for FM that states what the grid size must be set to, in order to match the 32x32 icon size?...well, the grids could be slightly larger, but when I use 1 grid square = 5 feet, I'd not want to make the squares too big as the map size will have to increase.
    Ed_NBOS wrote:
    I'm not sure what you're asking here... SM does have a pretty thorough scripting API that allows people to greatly customize the system.

I meant that as I, and many others, do know know how to create additional buttons, windows, etc., is there a tutorial or (better yet) a utility program for SM that would help me create these things?

For example, I'd like to have chat to the GM from any player, pop up as a separate window for me, so that I can better track the "table" action (the normal chat window) apart from "whispers to the GM" or "passing a note to the GM" that would happen as an aside when face to face. I have no clue how to create this, but I am sure someone else does.

Another example, I'd like an "Initiative" button for each player, where I, as GM, can set the individual character's init die, plus character init modifiers, which the players will press on their screens, and dump the results into an init box, that is shown on all screens.

The new version of Hackmaster (and also Aces & Eights) using a "count" system for combat, after the first init rolls. This count system is not based on die rolls, but upon actions. And I'd like to have a COUNT window, which allows me to show the current "count" as well as the player's individual count's. This is not a great way to explain it, but forgive me, I am at work and must be quick. :twisted:

I can try to illustrate what I mean here: different actions take a varying number of seconds to complete. In HMB, the GM declares the "Count" during combat, after the players have stated their actions. So, if a player readies a spell, it will take X seconds (depending on spell) + 1d4p (p is penetrating (aka "exploded") die) seconds (if the spell uses material components). I'd need a window, where I can "declare the count" so that other actions, whether by NPC or characters, can take place, while the spellslinger is getting ready to cast his spell.
    Ed_NBOS wrote:
    No, it only shows the map thats in the GMs display.

Is it possible that a future version of SM would support multiple maps on GM's monitor?
  • I really like the 3D city maps from Dunjinni, which is also something I will want to export for SM. If FM did those kind of maps, then I'd have less need for any other mapping program....hint hint.
    If they're just png's, they can be used a symbols in FM as well.
    I meant that as I, and many others, do know know how to create additional buttons, windows, etc., is there a tutorial or (better yet) a utility program for SM that would help me create these things?
    No, there's nothing like that. The web interface is HTML and Javascript... so you'd need to understand that at minimum to alter it. For things like game rules, I dont know how else other than programming that the wide variety of rules could be simulated to each persons needs.
    Is it possible that a future version of SM would support multiple maps on GM's monitor?
    Its possible, certainly, but I cant say for sure.

Leave a Comment