COmpletely Noob

edited August 2011 in The Keep General
Hi everyone:
I´m as the title says completely new to this kind of programs, so I downloaded the Keep´s trial veersion.
I´ve been fidgeting with it for a couple of days, but must admit that I´ve been having some problems to understand some features.
So I wanted to post some questions, sorry if they sound to basic for you but I would really apreciate your help:

1. Is there such thing as a "Users Manual" for the programs?

2. Each entry in The Keep is a sepparate file? For example all Text entries are saved as a separate each, or does the program save a Database as a whole?

3. I´ve been having some problems with hyperlinking, i.e. Lets say I have two Text entries and I want to crosslink them so I click the hyperlink in one, select the other in the list that appears, write the coment and click OK, and the Text appears, the problem is that when I pass the cursor above it, it doesn´t give me a click arrow it still hadles it as a regular text, I also tried to hyperlink with a PDF FIle with same results.

Thaks a lot for ypur help

Comments

• I'll try and help...not a total expert but I have been using it for a couple of years now. :)
    ignatius wrote:
    Hi everyone:
    1. Is there such thing as a "Users Manual" for the programs?
    [John] Not that I know of...there is Help-Contents that is pretty good. :)
    ignatius wrote:
    2. Each entry in The Keep is a sepparate file? For example all Text entries are saved as a separate each, or does the program save a Database as a whole?
    [John] It uses a database. Entries that are PDF or File Attachments are simple files that are references by the db. Note that you CAN edit these directly from the nbos files folder. I use this trick with PDF as currently the Keep does not allow opening PDF directly in the full Acrobat client if it is attached as a File Attachment. See another post from me.
    ignatius wrote:
    3. I´ve been having some problems with hyperlinking, i.e. Lets say I have two Text entries and I want to crosslink them so I click the hyperlink in one, select the other in the list that appears, write the coment and click OK, and the Text appears, the problem is that when I pass the cursor above it, it doesn´t give me a click arrow it still hadles it as a regular text, I also tried to hyperlink with a PDF FIle with same results.
    [John] Hold down the Ctrl key then click it. ;)

Hope this helps. :)
  • Thanks a LOT!!!! :D
    It was very helpful, I´ve been reading the contens help file it has made mi life so much easier, yesterday I was about to toss my computer out the window out of frustration.

BTW GREAT PROGRAM
  • One more hint that I forgot last time. Definitely get all of the service packs. In the latest one they added some keyboard shortcuts that are pure GOLD! ;) They make moving stuff around really easy. :)
  • Thanks, hey bothering you further:
    When I buy the full version, can I transfer a database from one computer to another, meaning im arranging my SR campaign here at the keep in my desktop, so, I buy the program and want to use it in my laptop, can I move everithing that I´ve already made?
  • ignatius wrote:
    Thanks, hey bothering you further:
    When I buy the full version, can I transfer a database from one computer to another, meaning im arranging my SR campaign here at the keep in my desktop, so, I buy the program and want to use it in my laptop, can I move everithing that I´ve already made?

Essentially yes you can. I recommend reading this thread. http://www.nbos.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=91 It will address your issue and give you something very spiffy. I have this setup across three PCs and it works GREAT! :D I wish more people used The Keep...I think it is really nice. :) Here is an article on my RPG blog that describes the situation in even more detail. http://usandacat.com/thelair/?p=227

Leave a Comment