So what would you like to see in version 2.0?
Enhancements Already Planned:
- multiple tab support
- a plugin system for creating custom content panels
- revision control
What other features/functionality are you hoping to see? This is the place to go crazy with requests. :-)
There is no ETA at the moment. One will be posted as soon as its known/estimated.
Please understand that I may not be able to respond to every request.
Outline tool, something similar to this: http://theguide.sourceforge.net/features.html (I know you can create an outline as a document but I like being able to collapse the view. Perhaps that could be something to have in another tab?)
Flow charting or story charting tools to assist with campaign creation.
Thats about it for now.
Maybe there's a way to do this now, but it would also be cool to be able to have multiple databases. Right now, I have the notes for all of my campaigns visible in the document tree, and have no idea how to get rid of all but the one I'm using now. I'd like to see the ability to just load different databases like files instead of having to import and export and such.
Memorizing the state of the different Keep tabs (dice, search,...).
Another thing that i would like to see is the ability to choose between viewing the pdfs file in the keep viewer or viewing them in the system (windows) default viewer. (where it can be viewed in full page as opposed to the smaller window of the keep viewer)
+1 on a calendar
+1 on tabs for the notes
+1 on multiple database (even if you can do it by using a command line and batch file)
+1 for customizable in-universe calendar
Two workarounds (since this is a known issue):
1) Run The Keep in administrator mode (Vista/Win7/Win8PC* only)
2) Manually add the folder "Character Sheet Definitions" to the installation directory of TheKeep and place character sheet definitions there (which should also rectify any issues with this in Portable Installations)
* - Not sure about whether or not The Keep runs in Windows 8 yet, haven't tested the program in it yet, but I DO have the developer preview working in a virtualbox on my end, and given that this issue affects both Vista and Windows 7, It's not a stretch that it would also probably affect Windows 8 as well. I know it will not work on ARM-based devices running windows 8 (since those can only run Metro-based apps, not desktop-based ones like The Keep and... well, any software out in the wild so far).
Check the documentation, there is a command-line parameter that can be passed to TheKeep to specify a different database.
The calendar thing is actually a fairly high priority item. I didnt list it as a 'sure thing' because the concept of customizable calendars can become very complex very fast, and I only want to do it if I can make it flexible enough to handle a wide variety of calendars.
Probably not in the core program. I dont want to support multimedia issues. It might be something possible with whatever plugin system is used.
Maybe that's grounds for a completely separate program that could integrate into the Keep like the character sheets and elements of Screen Monkey or Inspiration Pad?
First, The Keep is a very very nice piece of work (as many of the NBOS tools, in fact) ! Thank You !
As a french user, I would like to have a french dictionnary instead of the english one.
The calendar is a very good option, if you can set the number of months, their name and lenght, etc.. It would be very nice to create campaign entry log with the game date and not the real date.
There are a few bug - how to de-highlight a character Sheet like you can do in Character Viewer ? The pink is not very pretty on my screen ^^
Use one of the ones from here:
I just tested it with "Moderne 4.2"
There should be a .dic and .aff file in the zip file. Copy those into the Spelling/Dict directory under the folder where The Keep is installed. Then use File -> Program Preferences from the menu, and select the Spell Checking Language in the Editor section of the program preferences window. Restart the program, and the new spell checking dictionary will be in place.
1) Fix it so that File Attachment children that are PDF open the file in the full client instead of inside of The Keep. Leave the PDF child entry for that functionality.
2) Setup a way to turn off auto numbering when printing out content. Maybe as a Printing Preference. I have text entries that are for player handouts and I want them to be clean. I also use my own numbering on adventure entries.
3) Have a preference setting to disable the dice roller or at least make the expand/collapse setting sticky (i.e. so it remembers that I last had it collapsed). I use it during play and don't want an online roller.
4) Add quick keys for the Back toolbar operation. Also add a Forward toolbar option. This would really help during play.
I'll keep thinking...
Thank you ! That's just fine !
Oh...this is a spiffy idea! [Raises hand.]
1) When you setup a hyperlink the format of the text is removed. This is really a bug but it should get fixed.
2) There does not appear to be a way to edit an existing hyperlink. This would be really handy when referencing PDF pages in your hyperlink and you just want to change the page number. Right now you have to setup a new hyperlink.
* You cannot paste text into the Replace text dialog. Very annoying.
Still on the lookout for more suggestions...
For new features, here are my top 4 requests:
1. DB maintenance, particularly a way to optimize the DB for size (paring it down for flash drives and exports would be really helpful)
2. Include sub-topics option in Save Topic to File command
3. Define text styles for reuse (multiple header levels, body text, etc.)
4. Topic tagging (i.e., user-defined tags attached to any topic for use in search or dynamic topic grouping)
Here are some others, in no particular order:
1. Edit (and remove) existing hyperlinks (mentioned before, but I "+1" it)
2. Tabbed interface - I think you already have this considered; lacking that, allow open multiple topics
3. Align images in text / wrap text around images
4. Option for ordered lists (i.e., numbered bullets)
5. Nested bullet lists (ordered and unordered)
6. Option to select bullet character
7. Special Character/symbol menu
8. Sort-by-column option for tables
9. Show/hide ruler / print preview
10. Highlight search terms in results (i.e., I select a search result, and the search keyword/term is highlighted in the topic)
11. Constrain search scope (current topic and sub-topics only or entire DB)
12. Forward button / topic browsing history
13. Remember last workspace when loading (i.e., if the dice roller is minimized when I closed, it should be minimized when I open)
14. Color-code topics *OR* ability to attach user-defined icons to topics
15. Import TXT, HTML, RTF, and CSV directly into topics (as opposed to cut-and-paste or completely reconstructing tables)
16. Default to US English dictionary (or user-default) if an imported DB was saved with a different language dictionary
17. Paste Special command *OR* Remove Formatting command
Also, I've encountered an occasional error exporting to HTML, where The Keep reports that it cannot find the path specified. This only happens when I select the sub-topic option off the root. Possible bug - let me know if you need more information.
Thanks very much, Ed.
I'm running the demo at the moment. A couple of things occurred to me as I was working with it:
1. When I paste my text into a topic I cant refer to any of the text, there's no method for bookmarking in a topic.
2. Also, when hyperlinking I can see you get a very simple dialog box with topics listed, it would be handy to have that hierarchical and navigable. I can see how this list might become difficult to use as the content grows.
3. Would it be possible to create hot-spots you could hyperlink text to in graphics?
4. I want to import text or portions of RTF or text documents into topics.
Cool program by the way, I'm enjoying the demo.
The hierarchical menu in the Add Hyperlink dialogue would be helpful, as I sometimes forget what I named a particular topic (though I know where it is in the DB tree).
Added note: My earlier post requested a tool for DB maintenance/compacting. I've been using a free 3rd-party tool called SQLite Database Browser (http://sqlitebrowser.sourceforge.net/). I've been able to read and compact various keep.db files with it, all successfully. I have not tried writing to teh database via that tool. If you play with this tool, always make a backup of your DB. Ed may indeed have other caveats.
There is no feature for changing the case of text. You may wish to implement this useful function so you can switch the case of text to Title Case, Sentence Case, Lower Case, and All Caps.
I don't see a function to show the hard carriage returns, formatting marks such as tabs, and so on in the text editor.
Not sure if already covered but here are a few simple requests.
1: When you 'ADD A NEW ROOT TOPIC' it would be great if the highlight went straight to the new topic so you could type in a name rather than having to add the topic, select it and then ask to 'rename'.
2: An option to open The Keep with the DICE section minimised in order that you get maximum screen real estate for the folder list. Perhaps a checkbox in 'Program Preferences' would be do the job.
3: An option to promote a sub topic to a root topic.
A couple more.
1: Throw in some extra hotkey support.
eg. Stuff like press 'DEL' to wipe a note rather than access Delete via the mouse.
A hotkey for inserting a new text note
A hotkey for renaming a note etc.
2: The ability to color the text of the folder names in the left hand panel. Color coding folder names gives a lot of extra organisational options.
I just wanted to follow up on this as I was looking at it last night ...and then realized it was already in the program. If you 'Empty Trash', it will also at that point compact the database.
Ah - that's excellent. Thanks for the clarification, Ed. Good to know.
I missed a feature to tag paragraphs inside a text topic as "secret", too. I had something like the code/spoiler-blocks in some forums in mind. I tend to write GM stuff directly in my drafts for towns, npcs, etc and don't want that to print with all the player info (if there is something like that already, pls let me know )