Larger export files

A friend of mine uses FM8 to plot out his worlds. He's been giving me his exported EMF files to convert with whatever I can apply (Illustrator, Image Magick, what have you with the EMF export of the map). I have only the demo version of FM8.

Illustrator (CS) always seems to choke on exporting file to JPG at widths greater than the 9000 pixel-range.

I notice that FM8's export tool requests image dimensions and maxes out at 10000 pixels.

Image Magick reports the EMF file as being whatever dimensions I apply in the export, whereas I believe EMF is supposed to be dimensionless. That dimension setting is preventing me from specify the internal rendering dimensions for the EMF-to-JPG conversion, so I can't zoom in to the level of detail his map requires.

Is there any way to tickle the full version he has to either export the EMF as a dimensionless file or define larger dimensions for the export, which seems capped at 10000 pixels?

I'm looking for a file target size of 25000x12500 or more.

Thanks.

(Running Windows XP 32bit)

Comments

• You cant increase that in the program itself. It's in there to prevent allocating an image so big it crashes the video driver.

I dont think the export function in the api is limited, so you might try it via a script. Or possibly, using a script to create tiles that can then be pieced together.
  • Ed_NBOS wrote:
    You cant increase that in the program itself. It's in there to prevent allocating an image so big it crashes the video driver.

I can see where that might be a problem.
    Ed_NBOS wrote:
    I dont think the export function in the api is limited, so you might try it via a script. Or possibly, using a script to create tiles that can then be pieced together.

"Tell me more about this API," he said quietly.

A quick breeze through the site didn't turn up what I was looking for. And... do you need the full version to use the API from a script? (I, the programmer, have only the demo version, while my friend, the decidely-not-programmer has the full version.)

What scripting language can be used?

Thanks.
  • There's a help file for the api in the mapper's directory (GoblinAPI.chm). Not sure if its part of the trial version, but its shipped with the full version. You'd use the SaveToGraphic() method of the Map object. I believe scripts can be run from the trial version.
  • Ed_NBOS wrote:
    There's a help file for the api in the mapper's directory (GoblinAPI.chm). Not sure if its part of the trial version, but its shipped with the full version. You'd use the SaveToGraphic() method of the Map object. I believe scripts can be run from the trial version.

Thanks for the information.

Unfortunately, the GoblinAPI help file doesn't seem to be included with the trial version.

I asked my friend to see if he had it, but he couldn't find it in his install, either. I suppose it may be part of the full install, but not part of the default install of the full version.

The trial version seems to run scripts... at least I was able to get a 'Hello World' plug-in to run on my trial version.
  • Ed_NBOS wrote:
    There's a help file for the api in the mapper's directory (GoblinAPI.chm). Not sure if its part of the trial version, but its shipped with the full version. You'd use the SaveToGraphic() method of the Map object. I believe scripts can be run from the trial version.

I did a general Google search and found a link to your download section which had a copy of the GoblinAPI file, so I now have that.

I do seem to be able to run scripts, but now I'm getting VBScript runtime errors. Since I now have some of the information I need, I'll ask about my current problem in a new thread.

Thanks for all of your help.

Leave a Comment